Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Rainy days make for productive days!

Sometimes a big project just falls together and comes out wonderfully. Other times, it is a struggle to get the bits to go together and make the quilt the customer was expecting. Like this one...Customer brought me a comforter her daughter made and wanted it taken apart, made bigger, re-quilted and bound. Okay, I'll bite. I removed all the machine stippling from the quilt, removed the binding and added two complimentary borders. Then, I used new, more wonderfully puffy batting from Quilter's Dream and a new backing for the quilt. Everything was going swimmingly until, Oh No!! the quilt is two inches bigger than the backing!! How did this happen? I am sure I measured before I put it on the frame! An hour later, I had an extension piece of backing attached, re-pinned the quilt on the frame and finished the last row of the quilting. 103 x 108 finished. The binding took two nights, but the result is just what the customer ordered. Things worked out fine, but not without some weeping and gnashing of teeth!Oh yeah, I still love my job!

EEK!!! See how the quilt(blue part) is longer than the backing (white fabric pinned to the tan canvas leader)? This kind of thing makes a quilter pull her (or his) hair out.

Two days later, the quilt is finished and looks beautiful.

Lots of definition in the quilting with the puff batting.

The back and binding.
The rest of the time, we hummed along like a well oiled machine with the Christmas music playing in the background.
I went on to quilt this pretty log cabin.

Digital panto: Purple Meadow

Then, I custom quilted this  quilt with what looks like blue plates
in the blocks. The horse block is paper pieced.

I used two wreath patterns. This one with leaves, and another with flowers.

The backing is an ultra-suede fabric. I've never quilted with this before, and now, I have had two quilts in a week with it on the back.

Mr Wazoo quilted this lovely floral quilt today. Another short backing gave us a challenge, but I added 22 inches of a coordinating fabric, and everything came out fine.

There was a dazzling array of these bright florals.
Around 5pm, I sewed this charity quilt for the nursing home. I just wanted to make something, and this is my go to pattern.

I got this bird house fabric at the guild yard sale!

A peek at the back.
After supper, I sewed the label onto the raffle quilt, and hand sewed the binding to the charity quilt I made earlier in the day. Now, it's time to go to bed. The wind is howling and it is spitting rain. Perfect sleeping weather!! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.