Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Busy days, but not quilting!


On Monday, I taught the second block for my guild Block of the Month, and we all had fun making it. The other time eaters were shopping for groceries and having my broken glasses repaired. (I accidentally stepped on them after they fell off the nightstand during the night) Today, I went to Demorest and signed up for my Medicare supplemental insurance, and then treated myself to a stop at the newest quilt shop, Quilts N'Kaboodle in Cleveland, GA. They have a good selection of every type of quilting fabric. From Civil War to the nicest modern fabrics and Kaffe Fassetts. I love the Pepper Cory shot cottons, and they have a bunch of those, as well as some really pretty blenders. A really great shop for a newbie. I managed to drop some serious coins there...
I promised to show you the repair I just finished, so here are a few before and after pictures.

Oooiee! This was a really big hole!

another hole

This was the biggest hole

Most of the holes that wen through the quilt looked like this

And looked like this on the back.

All fixed and ready to go home!! I also replaced the binding, and gave the quilt a much needed bath!

I made a block and stitched it over the giant hole. The rest of the holes have patches the same as the original backing fabric color. Wnen I removed the binding, the backing was this dark underneath. I imagine that over time, the new fabric will dull down.
Mr Wazoo got a jump on the Christmas preparations during the rainy days we've had recently. He put up the tree and added the lights. Over the next few weeks we'll add the ornaments. Only 40 days to go!!


This sad note was in my in box today. Being from Wisconsin, I have been to Nancy's Notions many times, to shop, take classes and attend her open warehouse events. I loved her program on PBS and learned so many sewing and quilting techniques. She will be greatly missed.

                           

To Nancy's many fans,

It is with a heavy heart that we share sad news with you. After a long battle with cancer, our dear friend and colleague Nancy passed away at home, surrounded by family, on November 14. A private funeral service is planned with family and close friends. We know that you join us in mourning and in expressing our deepest sympathies to the Zieman family.

Nancy was beloved throughout our industry. She not only served as an icon, but as a leader who paved the way for many other women to become entrepreneurs and business leaders.

Nancy founded Nancy's Notions in 1979. St. Louis' Tacony Corporation purchased the company in 2003, and Nancy stayed on as the company's chief spokesperson, teacher, and creative voice.

Nancy also founded the Public Television show Sewing with Nancy in 1982 - now the longest-running sewing and quilting program on North American television. She authored multiple sewing how-to books and inspired countless sewing enthusiasts across the U.S. and the world.

In lieu of cards and flowers, her family suggests that donations be made in Nancy's name to Wisconsin Public Television (https://wptschedule.org/Donate/) or to Hillside Hospice in Beaver Dam, Wis. (https://bdch. com/how-you-can-help).

We also encourage you to share your memories of Nancy's life and how she inspired you via the Nancy's Notions Facebook page or on her blog at nancyzieman.com/blog.

We extend our deepest sympathies to Nancy's family, as well as her many friends, colleagues, and fans.

Thank you, Nancy, for a life filled with inspiration, education, and grace. We will all miss you so much.

Yours,
Mike Schuster
General Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.