Monday, February 26, 2018

Busy Monday!!

We hit the ground running this morning and I accomplished more than I thought I would. Mr Wazoo took advantage of the break in the weather to do some more work on the path in the back yard, so he wasn't in the studio. I cranked up the Beatles and set to work!
I loaded the second bed runner on the Gammill and started the custom quilting while the APQS chugged along on some charity projects. Aside from loading and advancing, the machine does the work for me. I managed to finish three nursing home quilts for the guild. I even sewed on the bindings and finished all three!!

Here's a nice golf quilt for a man

Panto: Yodel

Golf on the back, too!

Nice quilt, big headache!! Keep reading to find out what makes longarm quilters lose their minds...

Panto: Flower Power

Easier to see the quilting on the back

A very pretty sampler

Panto: double loops

The back
The middle quilt was a challenge. I had to add muslin to both ends to make the backing big enough for longarm quilting. We attach the backing to canvas leaders at the top and bottom of the backing. It takes about 4 inches at each end to keep the machine from hitting the poles the quilt rolls up on during the quilting process. Also, the back needs to be big enough side to side to be able to attach clamps to keep the backing taut while quilting. This takes about 3 inches on each side. Look at what I had to work with...

About 1 1/2 inches on this side. I could just barely nip the side of the back with my clamps. Keeping the quilting from going off the top is also a challenge, as most quilts aren't perfectly straight.

On the other side, the margin was even closer. 

Even with muslin added, I had only 2 inches at the top and bottom. 

The ladies that make these quilts do a great job of stitching accurately, and usually have generous allowances on the backing. Something went awry here, but I managed to get 'er done anyway. Yippee!!
I am pointing this out to you so you know why we ask for the back to be so much bigger than the top.
Changing gears, I also finished the second bed runner, and Mr W will be sending them off to Florida tomorrow. Feels good.

Same design as number one, but some of the fabrics are different.

Very simple quilting. The customer is adding button embellishments when she gets them back.

Same backing
Tomorrow is quilt guild, and we are going to play 'Quilto', the quilter's version of Bingo. I'm doing the calling, and we have fun prizes for the winners. I'll have to get my ducks in a row early, because February birthday people (me) have to bring snacks, too. Early A.M. I'll be baking. I'd better go to bed!
Good night.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.