Monday, June 11, 2018

A rare fun day

Yesterday was a rare day for me at Wazoo. I didn't do customer work. I needed to rest my arm and foot, so I took it easy and played with the antique blocks I bought in Paducah. They have been on the design wall for a while, and I knew I needed to add alternate blocks to make a decent size quilt with them. I had a bag of 165 Civil War reproduction four patches, and decided to use some of them in this project.  I fiddled with how to use 4 1/2 inch blocks to make an 11 inch block, and came up with a chain-type block. There was math involved (yuk) and had to cut pieces with scant 1/8 inch increments. Because none of the initial blocks are the exact same size, there will be some points cut off no matter what I do, but I'm okay with that. Here are a couple of pictures of the process so far. I have them in a straight set, but may go back to the on-point set after I reposition them and take a look. No sewing of these today. I have to work.

Here are the original blocks. I made one more to get  an even 16

I shifted them to a straight set and laid in the four patches

After adding the center strips, the alternate blocks are done
Mr Wazoo finished the last of four quilts for one customer before going outside to spread a truckload of mulch. Chiggers had a field day with him and he is covered with bites!! Maybe they hitched a ride in the mulch...


This was another quilt with a too small backing. I added six inches to the top and bottom of the back after a call to the quilter. Mr W quilted right to the pins on this one! I guess he needed seven inches...oops.

Panto: Splat

I like the cheater backing.
I snapped these two having breakfast at our flower buffet on my way to the studio. Another rain storm in the late afternoon sent us indoors on the back porch for a beer and some conversation. All in all, it was a fun, laid back day. Now, back to work.

Butterfly and bee having an al fresco breakfast

Mr W will have to weigh in on what the plant is...I  don't know what it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.