Monday, June 4, 2018

Too much of a good thing

In my zeal to get the last of the custom quilts finished and gone I have caused an overuse injury to my right arm. Boy, is it painful to do such little things like brushing my teeth or hand sewing the big repair job. My plan is to stick to machine sewing the commission projects for a couple of days and rest the affected muscles. Ice and rest will hopefully fix the problem. If not, I'll have to go see the doctor about it...sigh.
Meanwhile, back in the studio, we are back to our normal pace of working. Mr Wazoo has time and freedom to work in the yard without guilt, and I am comfortable with the time I spend in the studio. In fact, one day last week I was able to take a day off and advise a fellow long arm quilter with his foray into more complex quilting, and some of the finer points of pantograph quilting. His work is beautiful, and I am so excited to see his progress. Then, it was back to the studio.
Mr W finished the last of the quilts from my sister, and now I'm ready for my trip to Wisconsin to return them to her!


This is the second of the two blue and yellow quilts she made, and it is just as lovely as the first one.

Panto: Alfresco

Soft and beautiful

Blue and yellow continued with this brick and block quilt from one of our favorite customers.

Panto: Featherize

The backing is reminiscent of Provence in France. Gorgeous!

Yesterday, Mr W worked on two double sided tee shirt quilts made by the same customer.
This is number one.

Quilted with Dazzle, our favorite panto for tee shirt quilts

The second quilt was done with the panto Basketweave.
I have the custom quilt done as far as the last 10 inches of the side borders and needing to quilt the bottom border. It has been slow going due to the excess amount of fabric to work in along the way. The borders have been a challenge, and all the manipulation needed is what has messed up my arm. I really want to finish this, and every time I quilt a bit of it, my arm screams for me to stop. The plan is to do a tiny bit of quilting on it, and then go to sewing to rest my arm. 

Working in the fullness in the body of the quilt was fairly simple by quilting straight lines to mash down the fabric. Its hard to see the feather wreath in the printed parts of the design.

The borders are another animal altogether. The appliqué has to be ditched, and then the background dealt with. Here, you can see some of the fullness issue I have run across.

With just this much left to do, I am so frustrated to not be able to finish the job today.

Hopefully, I will have this last border conquered and the quilt  going home before too long.
Yesterday, I backed the tee shirt blocks with stabilizer, cut the blocks to size, and sewed the rows together. I have to add the top and bottom borders and then, I'll be ready to quilt this one. Unfortunately, both of my machines have quilts on them. Because it is supposed to be a perfect day outside, Mr Wazoo plans to work in the yard, so having him quilt it is out of the question, too. Another addition to the queue!

Almost there...

Quiiiiiilt me!! Quiiiilt me!...
Its calling me...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.