Monday, August 13, 2018

Fun class day

Today I had fun!! Our guild has special learning days called Sewcials. Someone from the guild treats us to a skill we may not have tried before. It is free and it is fun! Today was rope baskets with my friend Kay. She demonstrated the technique of wrapping scraps around clothesline and stitching it into a pretty bowl, mat or hat! It was really a foreign feeling at first, but once I got the hang of it, I was at ease with the wrap and sew part and making a basket. Here is my finished (yes, done) project.

I had all different scrap strips for my basket. Some people had monochromatic scraps and made beautiful pieces.

I started with an oval rather than a circular spiral, but will make a circle next time.

Kay showed us how to fashion handles while still sewing the rope around and around. The spiral on the front is how we ended the sewing. 

I hand sewed the final spiral down and added a chicken button from my stash.

You don't see the fabric patterns on most of the rows, but at the top, I spy bees!

I still have half a bag of strips, so I need to make more baskets!

Mr Wazoo and Molly had a surprise, too. Mr W was upstairs when he heard Molly barking her head off in the studio. He figured the AC guy was here for the annual check-up, so he went out on the porch to tell him he'd be right down...and then he saw the bear!! Yup. A bear was wandering around the front yard, taking in the sites and teasing Molly. I had the phone with me at class, so there isn't a picture. Sorry. Anyhoo, picture a black bear just walking around and looking the garden over before sauntering across the road and down the neighbor's driveway to check out what's happening over there. Two other friends had bears, too. They were able to take a picture and post it to Facebook, but you'll have to imagine our bear.
Once Molly calmed down, Mr W got to work and quilted a Tula Pink fabric quilt. Then he got to go out and scout for bears while doing some gardening.

I like the modern look of these fabrics.

Panto: Retro leaves
After finishing the basket, I sewed the blue and yellow blocks together and put them on the design wall. It was already 6pm and I needed to get busy with supper, so I will tweak the layout later, and square up the blocks. For a spur of the moment stash quilt, it isn't too bad1

It's getting there...
I have so much to do tomorrow, I don't think I will be able to stay at the sewing group for long. I have a customer coming at 10:30 and an appointment at 1:00. Kay and Henry have invited us to go out to dinner for Henry's birthday, and we are throwing in Mr W's birthday (next Wednesday) ,too. We're coming back to the house for cake and ice cream, so I have some baking to do. Busy day...fun evening with friends. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.