Monday, April 8, 2019

Productive weekend

Spring is jerking along here...hot, cold, hot, cold, rain, rain... Every day is an adventure in weather, but I can see the signs slowly emerging in our own yard. The dogwoods are opening, and the perennials are bursting from the ground and growing. Cool and gray this morning, with rain in the forecast. A great day for quilting!
Mr Wazoo took a brief break from yard duties to quilt a couple of customer projects, but his time is mostly occupied with mulch. Loads and loads of the stuff. It's fine with me, because he keeps the yard beautiful.
The most recent quilt is still on the frame. He says it will come off this morning and be ready to go home today.
I have been quilting and sewing like a mad woman, trying to get us in a good place before going to Paducah, and in May, Texas and Arizona. Two big quilts were done with the help of Miss Millie, and one of them is bound and ready to go. I have been doing gobs of binding lately...

This lap quilt is a wedding gift. I think it demonstrates how modern quilts don't always have to be improv or wonky to be lovely. The colors and fabric selections make a statement without being so 'in your face'. I love it.

The customer requested swirly and not too dense. This panto is called Curly Que.

Lighter gray on the back.

The behemoth quilt took two days to do. It is 114x114".

To get the borders in the photo, I had to get a picture from an angle! For perspective, my quilt machine is on a 12 foot long table!!

Panto: Pleasure

The 120" wide white backing was all I could find that was big enough without a seam.

Kaffe Fassett is represented by this customer.

Panto: Stacked Snailz

She used a king sized sheet, and some pieces of the Kaffe fabrics for the back.

I made and applied the dotty binding, and did the hand sewing last night while watching PBS.
Call the Midwife is back, and as wonderful as ever, followed by Mrs Wilson and Unforgotten. A super night of drama and mystery!

I spent the day Sunday making the first batch of embroidered blocks into a flimsy. The customer had a photo of the suggested quilt pattern, but her Mom only made six blocks! We discussed it, and she decided a lap quilt was fine. It will be off the machine today, and I'll have the photos in the next post. 

This is the picture that came with the pre-stamped blocks. My quilt is two by three blocks and has 9 patch cornerstones and a green inner border.

I'm on the last two rows of quilting. I'll have it off and the binding applied later today.
I did a little dance of victory Saturday night. One of the repair quilts is finally finished!! I hand sewed the binding and gave it a wash, and it looks wonderful. It should go home today.

I replaced over 50 of the squares, and mended the seam on the backing.  I made new wide binding and finished the hand sewing Saturday night.

Many of these are new. I tried to match the original square in color and pattern. The hand quilted them.

It had wide binding, so I replicated that with new fabric.
Last, I finished the flimsy with the schoolhouse blocks. My friend Audrey B. is doing the quote the customer requested on the bottom border, and I'll sew it on when she's done. "Nil magnum, nisi bonum". It means, without goodness, there is no greatness. The recipient is a teacher, and this is her favorite quote in Latin. Very high brow!

Almost done. I'll get it quilted after the bottom border is finished and sewn on.
It's time to go to work! See you later.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.