Thursday, December 5, 2019

A day trip bust


We ventured out to Gainesville yesterday, but didn't find anything we were looking for there.
The trip takes us through the mountains  and runs along a parallel track with the Appalachian trail.It was a cold, windy day on top of Blood Mountain, where the Appalachian trail is at its highest point in Georgia and the only place the AT passes through a man made structure. In the thirties, a stone building was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps as a hostel and supply store for hikers to get out of the elements and have a place to rest and rejuvenate before trekking north again.  Every year we go there are look for interesting gifts for the family, and it never fails to produce them. From the Bigfoot tee for my granddaughter to the lovely jewelry for her mother, we found some wonderful gifts. If you are ever on the trail, or just driving Highway 19, stop at Walasi-Yi, better known as Mountain Crossing, and enjoy the view and the history embodied there. It is at Neel Gap on the AT map.Tip: wear a jacket!! It is usually quite windy and brisk at over 3100 feet elevation.

Cold and blustery atop the mountain.
Mountain Crossing

The logo
Some of the more touristy stuff at the shop

There is a wide selection of shirts, sweaters and jackets, too.
Outside (and in the shop, too) there are hundreds of pairs of old hiking shoes and boots hanging from the trees. There is a huge selection of hiking gear (including footwear) in the shop, and I guess this is the place to get a new pair along the trail.
More shoes abandoned in the shop.
This is actually part of the AT. I can say I walked part of the trail since I did go up the steps to get a better photo of the view. ha ha
The view from the outdoor picnic area is spectacular every season of the year. But very cold!!
I can't imagine hiking up this. That's why I am not a serious hiker!
Even in the winter violas and pansies manage to continue to thrive. We plant our pots with them at home for a wintery pop of color. These are at Mountain Crossing.
Leaving Mountain Crossing by foot, this is the way to Maine!
We left Neel Gap and drove to Gainesville on the Christmas gift quest. Nothing doing. After three stores, we gave up looking and went home. The only buying we did was at Hobby Lobby where Christmas stuff was all 50% off. We bought a few new ornaments and some decorations to replace our tired 30+ year old stuff, and left for home. I did get a day of rest out of the venture, as well as a fun day out with Mr Wazoo. We put more stuff on the tree, and will probably finish it up later today.
There are still boxes of decorations to be unpacked and put on there tree!
Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas. I took this from my chair as I write this.
Now, I have to get back to the studio. There is a customer coming with a rush custom job. I didn't think I would do any more  of these before Christmas, but I am an easy touch for a sad story...
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.