Saturday, December 7, 2019

Caught up for Christmas!!

All the quilts I needed to have done for customer Christmas are finished!! There are a couple of quilts to be done yet in the queue, but they are not due by there holidays. I'm sure someone will bring something they want done ASAP, but it will be easy to do if I need to. Today, I plan to wrap presents and get them situated under the tree. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas here at Wazoo!

I did another quilt for this customer recently, all in pink. This purple one is for her sister. The maker is a new quilter, and she does a wonderful job. Both quilts were flat and perfect!



She wanted hearts and flowers, so I used the Panto Frolic. 
Purple, purple, purple!! I guessed she was a tween, and I was spot on!! Eleven years old.

Here is the finished tee shirt quilt that had the screwed backing. I cut two strips 12" wide from the length and sewed them end to end. Then I sewed them to one side of the backing, making is just big enough to get the clamps on. I had to charge for all that fixing because it took almost an hour to do.

At 84 x 98" it is a really big quilt. Notice there is no sashing or borders either. The customer said there are 70 tees in this quilt!! Yikes! With flannel backing and 80/20 batting, it weighs a ton.

Panto: Rounded square plaid

The flannel is really thick and heavy, adding to the weight of the finished quilt. I'm glad it isn't my job to do the binding!

I L-O-V-E this quilt! The photos are old family pictures, some dating before the Civil War. The customer told me that her family has been in Georgia for generations, and many of her relatives were Confederate soldiers. There is also a picture of her grandfather in his doughboy uniform from WWI. From a divided nation's fight to a unified country's war, her family has served.

The quilt is custom quilted, using a block pattern of leaves and curls for the pieced blocks, and a frame of leaves and swirls for the photos. Because the quilt will and on a wall, it was okay to have the photo blocks lightly quilted to retain the integrity of the photos.

I used a copper colored thread for the antique look.

This is the customer's Great-Great Grandpa as a little boy. His hand-me-down outfit has several holes from rough wear over the years. I love the history in this quilt! One of the pictures is a row of open sided old busses with the drivers posing in a row in front of them. Her family has been school bus drivers for three generations.

This is the backing. After seeing this quilt, I want to dig out the old photos and make one of our family. My Dad as some really old pictures of relatives I could scan and use. Stay tuned for that!

I ended the day sewing some blocks from 10" squares and will get the second round of sewing done today. I saw a pattern in a shop in Wisconsin and wanted to give it a try. A project just for fun!
When I left the studio last evening. I enjoyed the lights Mr Wazoo put up. He has finished decorating the tree and will be out in the yard today cleaning up leaves and mulching the gardens for their winter sleep. He spent the day yesterday planting bulbs for the Spring.

This little vignette is in the side garden

The colored balls look nice against the dusk sky and Epp Mountain.

Lighted icicles across the porch. The wind always wraps the flag up on the pole. We undo it every morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.