Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Fun finishes

We postponed our Christmas shopping until tomorrow because Mr Wazoo was on a roll with decorating. I was okay with that since I had some stuff to  finish in the studio. If you remember the steam punk quilt; it was first to be done before I even stepped into the studio! It took a couple of evenings and this morning to finish the binding. The customer was super happy with the quilt. She also makes jewelry, and brought me a pair of bears on earrings! I love my job.
Mr W is about half done with the ornaments. I'll be doing some on Wednesday!

I put on my new earrings as soon as my customer gave them to me!
Early on in the studio, I worked on the two memory pillows from a deceased husband/Dad's shirts for a customer to give her kids for Christmas. I finished them at 6 on the dot. For something so simple looking it took a long time to make them!

The shirts had small logos on them, so I used circles on a nine patch base to display them. The father's name was Chip, and I put one piece with his name on each pillow.

This one is for the daughter

This one is for the son.

Dad and son played paintball, so his pillow got the only big logo on the back.
A new custom came today with two tee shirt quilts she made for her daughter. One is shirts from the girl's childhood, and the other one from recent shirts.  The child one is small and has her grandpa's lap blanket on the back. I have never quilted a blanket before, but it went fine.

Little girl shirts on a small quilt

Panto: Flower Power

Grandpa's blanket just fit! All I trimmed off was the fringe!
Here's a math problem for you...I get stuff like this all the time and have a brain explosion trying to figure out how to fix them. Here's the dilemma: The quilt I have to do is 84x98. The backing she made is 67x132. What?!! I need a backing somewhere between 90x104 and optimally 94x108. How do I cut and re-sew the backing to make it fit? This is why we longarm quilters get frustrated. Most of the mistakes we see are in the backings. I'll tackle this on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, I finished the quilting on the quilt for my daughter's boyfriend and did the hand sewing of the binding while binge watching four episodes of The Crown. What a riveting program. The acting is superb. There are more episodes, but I finished the quilt and want to get to bed earlier than usual so I don't nod off in the car tomorrow!

The pattern is one of my favorite go-to ones for a quick, good looking quilt, BQ2. (stands for Big Quilt #2)

Panto: Rounded square plaid

The backing and binding are a soft flannel.
I had better quit while I'm ahead and call it a night. Christmas shopping tomorrow!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.