Sunday, December 1, 2019

Thanksgiving in the rear view

I can not believe it is December!! I did some armchair shopping on Black Friday, and plan some brick and mortar shopping this week. Mr Wazoo has all the exterior illuminations out and twinkling, and the tree stuff is staged and ready for decorating. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
In the studio, I have been sewing and quilting like crazy, getting things out the door for my holiday customers.
After sewing down all the fused elements on these two wall hangings, the quilting was a snap. The customer picked them up on Thanksgiving morning, on her way out of town. One is for her and the other for her son, who she was visiting that day.

Panto: Simply Stars

I sewed the two backings together and quilted both wall hangings at the same time! I'm more clever than I look. Ha ha.

My daughter and her boyfriend scored tickets to the Packer game in San Fransisco, where they had a good time despite the Packers playing pitifully on the field. One for the loss column.

After the cat quilt came the dog quilt. They're both cute, but I am partial to dogs.

Some of the custom quilting.

And some more...

The back. During the evening TV watching, I am doing the hand sewing on the sleeves and binding I made and attached yesterday. The cat quilt is done and the dog quilt ready to be sewn tonight.

The same customer made five small vignettes to be stretched on canvas stretchers to be hung on the wall. She fused the designs, but (once again) didn't sew anything down. First order of business was to do all the invisible thread sewing to secure the elements. Then, each one got a different background treatment. 

She had the measurements of the finished piece on her instructions, so I tried to keep the background filler to the edge of my chalked perimeter.

All those pussy willows and bird beaks were a booger to sew without messing up the edges.

This was the biggest one, at 14 x 18 inches. I also sewed down the leaves and bird with some decorative stitching.

To understand how small the bits are, this bicycle piece is only 10 x 10 inches!

Millie had to chug along on this quilt for two whole days! It wasn't especially big (90 x 90) but the pattern took over a half an hour to do one pass. This photo is from day one.

I love my Bernina 770, but when I take the bobbin race out to oil it, I can never get it back in correctly. I messed with it for what seemed hours, and then Mr W came in and wiggled it into place in just a few minutes. Thanks, Babe!! I was back in business making miles of binding and two hanging sleeves.

Non-plussed as usual, Molly napped under the Gammill while I worked overhead.

Ooh-la-la! Naked tattooed girls and loads of skulls on the fabric for the Steam Punk quilt. 

If you don't know what steam punk is, it always incorporates gears in the design. This fabric is from Spoonflower, where you can design your own fabric and they will print how much you need. 

Meanwhile, Mr W was back in his garage staging area, trying to get the garland of lighted balls to work.

One at a time, he checked the lights until he got them all working. Clark Griswold, anyone?...

I finally finished the steam punk project in the late afternoon yesterday.

The daughter, who this is for, also loves sunflowers.

The Panto is called Steam Punk (duh)

This is the backing. 

There are embroidered elements throughout the quilt, all done by  the customer. I made the binding before quitting for the day, but didn't get it on. I will be sewing that, and making two pillows from tee shirts for another customer today.
We were going to get the Christmas tree up and start decorating it, but the sun has come out and Mr Yardman wants to go outside and play... He'll get to it tomorrow. The Sunday morning shows are over, and it is time to go to work. I hope your Christmas season is off to a good start. 24 days left to get everything done. Yikes!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.