Thursday, December 12, 2019

Too small backing debacle

I made the back wider for the big quilt, but it was dubious whether the length would be okay. I have learned a great lesson today...don't take a quilt if the backing isn't correct! I started as close to the top roller as possible, and began quilting. And quilting, and quilting, and quilting. Oh crap! I got to the last row and the backing was an inch and a half short. The maker is a friend, and I am hoping she will just cut off an inch and bind the thing. I wound the whole quilt back until I could reach the ironing board with it still mounted to the leader. I sewed a long piece of fabric to fit and fused it with batting tape to the too short back. After rolling the entire thing back on the front roller, I realigned the pattern and finished quilting. Egads! That whole gerry-rigged fix took an hour to accomplish. Never again!

Loaded and ready

What seemed like a million years later, all finished.

It is a beautiful quilt, but I'll be happy to see it go home!

Pantro: Swirls and Bubbles

The back looks great. See there pieced column? I guess we needed one the other way, too!
I got a bit of Christmas gift work done, too. Some placemats and bowl cozies. I also finished sewing the blocks for the red and tan quilt and sewed it together. I think it needs a border, but I wonder if I have something that will match okay. That's for tomorrow! We received a tin of cookies from my son today...I hear them calling me.

It needs finishing, but will be a nice gift.

The customer with the steam punk quilt gave me her leftover bits from the quilt, so I made some bowl cozies for a guy who admired the naked girls on the fabric.
I hope his wife thinks its funny, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.