9 M size bobbins, 21 thread color changes, 201 motifs quilted in each of the circles, Ruler work for all the background quilting. Over a week of work, and done on two different longarms!
The color changes were worth it to get the final effect. The quilting is subtle, not overwhelming, and looks great.
On the back, I used Magnaglide thread in a medium gray color. The wool batting kept the thread from popping up on the top and gave a uniform look on the floral backing.
I'm happy with the quilt, and I'm pretty sure the customer will be, too.
I have been going to the studio a half hour early for a few days to have a bit of time for shabby chic block sewing. I may not be able to get much done in that short period of time, but it starts my day off with a feeling of accomplishment.
I sewed the small half square triangles one day and cut them all apart the next. I used the method of making 8 at a time from 2 large squares, and it went along quickly for all these components.
I'm still trimming them up to 2 1/2 inches, and think it will take a couple more sessions to have them all squared up.
I just couldn't wait to see what a block would look like, soI sewed a few and put them up on the design wall. So far, so good!
I kept the points the same fabrics for continuity in what will be a really scrappy quilt. The small white with dark pink rosebud fabric will repeat throughout the quilt as the background. Sort of an anchor in a quilt with a wide assortment of fabrics. I'm excited about the project even though I only have a tiny part of it done!
A few more things are blooming outside, but the weather has been super hot with hard rains almost daily, so many of the flowering plants are struggling to keep their petals on.
Mr Wazoo has been working on a secret project in the garage...lots of power sawing and wood dropping sounds coming through the wall to the studio. Oh well, it keeps him occupied during the hottest part of the day or when it is raining. What is it he's making? I have only his word for it that I'll like it. Silly man...
These hydrangea are a hybrid variety and don't bloom in tight balls like the regular ones do. They are more lacy looking.
These bee balm are taller than ever! I am amazed at the height of up to four feet on some of them! All the heat and rain has made them into these alien looking flowers.
The hosts is blooming, too. I'm surprised the deer haven't nibbled them away to stubs! There is so much leaf cover in the woods all around us, the deer are staying out of the gardens this year. We see them daily just beyond the tree line, eating leaves and slowly making their way across the ridge behind the house. There were four does yesterday, with a tiny fawn wobbling along with the group. So cute!!
This is all there is of Mr W's project so far...a 4x4 in the center of the back garden, held in place with Quickcrete at the base. I hope he has a vision because I don't get it. Stay tuned to see what develops!