Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day weekend labors

We are back at work here at WAZOO since our trip to Texas to visit family, and just because it's a holiday doesn't mean a day off! I finished a custom quilt and a  baby's room wall hanging for customers before tackling a huge project of my own.
It was fun to work on this exciting quilt!

Some of the quilting

The backing is just as wild as the front, with checkerboard down the center

The wall hanging was a challenge with all the prairie points sticking out

Here is a closer view
 My son and his wife finally got an apartment with a proper bedroom, so I made them a king sized quilt for their bed. The only request was that it be colorful. No problem there! The pattern was a tutorial from In Color Order's blog called Patchwork Chevron. I loved it when I saw it and figured I could make it as colorful as I wanted with my fabric selections. I used two layer cakes by Kate Spain for Moda called Good Morning and Terrain. The background is Kona white. I found the books and swirling books fabrics on the back at Connecting threads. My son is an editor at a book publishing company, so I thought it was a good choice. I wish I had time to custom quilt for my family, but I figure it's a utility quilt and will be washed and used, so I just chose a fun whimsical pantograph for the quilting. The binding is an old Jane Sassaman fabric from my stash. Now, I just have to do the hand sewing. Should take a while...I think this calls for a Pride and Prejudice marathon! Ooh-la-la, Colin Firth!!



This is my son and his wife's quilt, zigs horizontal

This is one of the book fabrics on the back

Here it is with zigs vertical. It's square, so either way is okay

Fun quilting and striped binding

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.