Hmmm...when I rolled the first row up, there were some little knots of top thread on the back. Bad sign.
I changed the needle, re-threaded the machine and started row 2.
Oh dear!! Even MORE knots! I adjusted the top tensioner a bit and tried again...
Aw! Come on! It has taken me almost two hours to do these short rows because of all the picking and re-sewing I had to do. Let's add a Bobbin Genie to the bobbin case. These are promoted by Sharon Schamber as an alternative to the anti backlash spring to prevent knots and nests on the back. Now we're cookin'.
I finally decided to replace the anti-backlash spring and really clean the bobbin case. If this didn't work, I was ready to scrap the entire project. Three hours gone on a 54 x 66 inch quilt! Ridiculous! I was now on the last full row and saying a little quilty prayer.
Oh well, a knot or two was better than a whole row of knots. Maybe it was the Bottom line bobbin thread or the King Tut top thread...heck, maybe it was the quilt! Whatever it was, it tried my patience. The quilt it finished and waiting for binding. I don't know yet if it will be the auction quilt...not perfect enough for my standards. I just know this had better not keep up or I will never get all my customer work done. Thank goodness it happened on my quilt.
Here is the (almost) finished product.