Friday, February 13, 2015

Getting ready for the trip!


Today was a work day like many others, but we had to get the groceries for the 'batchelor', discuss his quilt work ahead and what he's going to have to eat that won't destroy the kitchen. Ha ha, just kidding about the last one. Tim does pretty well on his own as long as all the meals are planned and everything is readily available. Check! I made a huge pot of soup for him to have for lunches. It smells so good in here...good thing we just ate, or I would be out there getting a bowl to test it.
Anyhoo, today we each got a quilt done. I have another finish in 2015! Well, I will when the binding is stitched down later tonight. This quilt was started when I saw some fabric I really liked, but didn't know what to do with. The store was going out of business, so the companion fabrics were inexpensive, too, so I bought some of all three and went merrily on my way. I would suggest that you never do this. Not knowing what I was going to make made it hard to decide what to do. So I made a bunch of 9-patches and snowball blocks, keeping aside enough focus fabric for a small border. I used all of the fabric.The blocks laid in a straight set didn't make a very big quilt, so I put them on point. It ended up a nice sized lap or nap quilt. Not my usual color palette, but still pretty.
My quilt

Plain white muslin for the back



Quilted with a freehand feather meander
The periwinkle binding matches the little flowers in the focus fabric.
Tim quilted the first of three quilts by the same person, my sister! She likes bright fabrics, too, so this is a rather sedate quilt for her. I love the fabrics!



Tomorrow, I am off on an adventure with Stephanie to check out some old quilts and an old sewing machine at a yard sale. Then I have to get packed. Florida awaits!


                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.