Monday, July 24, 2017

Fruitful day with a bit of a tutorial

We had a quilt last week with an extremely wavy border. Mr Wazoo soldiered along, trying to keep it straight, but it got away from him and he eventually cried Uncle and asked me for help. I had recently watched a video on You Tube on the subject, and thought I'd give it a whirl. This is the original tutorial :(
And here is what I did. I tweaked it a bit to suit the quilt.

I had already started the repairs when I thought to take pictures.
This border was easily 7 or 8 inches off!! How the heck does that happen?
You can see where I decided to take up the slack; 4 places, each about 2 inches to fix.
Here's another view. Scary, huh?

I peeled back the edge of the first one to show you the fusible inside.

I unpicked the seam at the bottom of the block, and then made the pleat.

This is Misty Fuse. I rarely use it because it is so thin and difficult to cut and place, but it is perfect for this application. It stays soft after fusing. Just don't turn on a fan!

A fine web of fusie goodness.

I cut some thin strips for the repairs and laid them on a bright folder so I could find them when working on the quilt.

The block is unpicked from the white inner border, and the pleat taken. I lined up the colors as much as possible before laying in the fusible. You can barely see it in the fold.
I placed an ironing surface under the area to be fused.

Then, I applied heat to the pleat to fuse it in place.

Carefully pressing the borders and keeping them aligned.

Here's what it looks like after fusing.
Fixing the side border fullness was next.

In this picture, I have completely unpicked each border and re-laid them in straight lines.

Then I put the fusible under the overlapping edges and fused them down.

This one, too.

Look at how much too long the side border was!
I unpicked the bottom outer border and fused it , making the corners meet squarely.

After four pleats that took in around 6 inches, there were still two inches too much! One inch at each end! See it there on the left.

I repeated the procedure on the other end, too.
After fusing all the pleats, I took the quilt off the frame and sewed the edges with a tiny zig zag stitch, using invisible thread. I did not sew through the batting and backing.
This is what it looks like sewn, before quilting.

Here is the quilt, quilted and trimmed.
Nice and flat, without tucks or pleats.
The bottom borders are now straight and the corners are pretty square.
The invisible thread blends in and looks like a sewn seam.
Panto: Small Splat
The back is perfect!! Yippee!

Mr Wazoo stayed busy out in his garage studio, quilting a small wall hanging. I spent some time realigning the pattern for the quilt I was working on when the computer died. It took me a while to get the software loaded and running, and to put in the digital pattern that got dumped along with the broken computer. I finished the tee shirt quilt, and then took on the wavy border quilt. That pretty much shot the day, and we quit at 6 pm.
Panto: Mahogany
My customer made this for a grandson going off to college.
Yes, the block is upside down, but the shirt was printed this way.
Digital panto: Dazzle

Easy to see on the dark green back

The only silver lining in the second trip to Atlanta in a week was a stop at Dillards so I could get some new shoes! They sell my favorite Ecco sandals and mine are hopelessly worn out. Look at these babies!! Swanky!
Pretty shoes, but I see I need a pedi ASAP!
More colors on the sides and back, too!! Cool!
I'll end with garden visitors!
The butterfly bush is living up to its name!

I couldn't resist sharing Molly cuddling with her favorite toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.