Thursday, October 5, 2017

Quilty fun

Yesterday, I worked on three projects and only finished one. The one I did get done is a pretty memory quilt by a customer who specializes in making these for her customers. This one is made from silk Tommy Bahama shirts and is soooo soft!! It will go back into the post today.

All silk except for the sashing and backing

Panto: African Samba

Hard to see here, but in the pieced square is the actual chest pocket from one of the shirts. How cool is that?
I finally got a start on the tablecloth wall hanging, too. The computerized motifs are stitched, and I will re-load it onto the Gammill for the hand guided background quilting. I am not confident enough on the APQS to do it there yet.

I combined three central motifs down the center, swags with birds and flowers in the corners, roses in the narrow side areas and more roses to fill the empty areas.

Two motifs with ribbons and roses

The center has this scrolled frame with a rose in it

A rose swag along the edge

In the corners, a feathered swag with roses and a bird.
I'll do the background areas after I finish the big quilt on the frame already.
On the Gammill, I have this behemoth Dresden plate quilt. It is 103 x 103. I have to admire the fact that the quilter did the plates by hand. That had to be difficult to keep flat while stitching, but she did very well with her work. After the Stitch in the ditch, I worked a  large swirl motif in each blade. I'm still doing the plates, and hope to get to the background and sashing tomorrow.

As I do the stitch in the ditch sewing, I am working on the plate blades. You can see how big they are, since only one half of the plate fits between my rollers! There is 18 inches of quilting space there! It will certainly make a statement on her king sized bed!
Today, My quilt show co-chair and I are off to Murphy, NC to meet and photograph the Best of Show winner from our quilt show last week. She was on a cruise when she won, and we were unable to get a picture or comment at the show. After that, we will be touring a house my friend is interested in and then having a nice lunch out. My kind of day!! I'll be home this afternoon and back in the studio, working  and singing along to John Denver while I quilt. Love my job!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.