Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Slow days with machine breakdown

Millie stands idle while we wait for tyet another part from APQS. I unloaded the quilt I was working on and Mr Wazoo will be available to help me with the part installatyion if it comes today.
Meanwhile, I kept busy with the sari quilt sewing, and even took a speed trip to the fabric shop for fabrics to go with the bronze and red-purple silk sari fabric. I hope to make some progress on that today.
The blue and light gray one is ready for quilting.

I cut the pieces of fused silk into blocks, and arranged them in a medallion. The center Dresden Plate block uses two solid support fabrics along with bits of the sari for the blades. I hand appliqued this plate into position on a light gray background.

Here, I was experimenting with the printed border of the sari for the quilt border. I knew I wanted to miter the corners, so I just folded it to see how it would look.



Here is a close view with the pieces sewn together. Because the sari is printed a bit wonky, the lines don't look perfectly straight, but they are!

All sewn and with the mitered border!

A sari is a huge piece of fabric, so I was able to piece a backing from this one to match fabric with the front. It will be new territory for me to quilt something silk with a silk back.

I didn't take a photo of the backing after sewing, but the stripes are repeated on either side of the center motifs. Should be interesting.
More rain expected today. Mr W is not happy...hopefully, he will get busy with the Millie if her parts arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.