Wednesday, April 27, 2022

In the groove

 The weekend was relaxing and fun. I had a wild idea to make a simple wall quilt to replace the Autumn quilt that has hung over my heater in the studio for way too long. In the book, Skinny Quilts, there was a quilt made with stripes and solid circles. I really liked the modern look of it, so I pulled a bunch of Kaffe stripes and broke into my brand new fat quarter stack of Kaffe tone-on-tone fabrics. Here is the sequence of events. 

I did a rough sketch on paper to get the size right, then  cut a bunch of squares and rectangles of assorted stripes. I starched them for stability and gave them a press before starting on the design wall. I tried a dark blue plaid on top, but didn't like it.

Here are the colors I chose for the circles, and the squares they go on.

The circles are fused on and secured with turquoise thread in  a buttonhole stitch. Tried another plaid...nope.



The third try was the charm! Here's the flimsy with the mid-tone plaid borders.

Quilted and bound. 

Basketweave panto

Don't forget to label your quilts! The binding is a blue stripe.

Mr Wazoo hung it up right over the heater where I wanted it. Good job, and it only took a day to do.

While I worked on the wall project, I quilted another QOV.

Panto: Simply Stars.

Nice backing, but pretty stiff feeling. I hope it softens with washing.

The block is an interesting construction. It looks simple...I may have to make some of these.

I also finished the quilt from my program the other night.

Square spiral panto.

Another sale rack find for the back.

And don't forget your label!!

I started cutting out the next project and my shop assistant came to watch.

She gave it her seal of approval!

The iris had bloomed!

The grass has filled in where Penny does her run-run daily. Mr W knows how to grow grass anywhere.

Lilly of the valley is lush and fragrant. I love it!!

It's hard to get a good picture with the dog pulling on the leash while I'm trying to take the shot.
More sewing tomorrow!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.