Monday, June 17, 2019

Prep for retreat

After taking a couple of days off to rest and ice my back/shoulder, I am back in the studio and working up a storm. I'm glad the problem resolved without a visit to the doctor, but frustrated at how creaky I'm getting. Aging is not for the faint hearted!
My evening guild is having their annual retreat this week, so the prep for that has occupied my studio time. I like to have things already cut out so I can arrive there and sew, sew, sew! Yesterday, I cut out the 792 pieces for a quilt I have had wanted to make for a while now. It will use a tiny portion of my Japanese fabric stash.

It sure doesn't look like this will make a 54 x 66" quilt, does it?
Today's plan is to cut out the pieces for a Chicken quilt. I pulled the needed fabrics, and will begin the cutting after breakfast.

As you can see, it will be a colorful bird!
I did finish the men's ties quilt, and have it quilted and ready for the sleeve and binding. Hopefully, I'll get that done today, too.

The father, whose ties they are, wanted a wall hanging. This is 50 x 50, and I think it looks terrific.

I used the rounded squares panto because it looks manly.
The background fabrics came from the shop in  Dahlonega.

The ties are sewn down with a decorative feather stitch, using bronze colored Glide thread. It gives the project a bit of shine. The Dresden plate center circles are from one of the ties that is a solid black silk-satin fabric.

I found this plaid fabric in Cumming, and I think it is perfect for the back of this quilt.
That's the whole story of what I have been doing. Father's Day passed with phone calls and gifts from the kids and a hamburger cook out. Mr Wazoo spent the day outside (where else...) doing repairs on the cobblestone walk. It had settled on one side and had a crack open where the ground was lower.  It is back to 'like new' status, and he's on to some planting and weeding today. A happy man!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.