Monday, October 21, 2019

Totoro finished...in parts!

I finished the Totoro costume today, but didn't attach the arms, ears and tail. My son has the form it goes on and he can better judge where to sew them on. Who would have thought such a simple shape would be so challenging to make?! Oh well, with any luck, it will stretch over the form and look dandy!

My son and Dechen modeling the form for the costume

What the animal is supposed to look like

The body part. The arms are stuffed and have claws, the tail is also stuffed. My son made forms for the ears so they stand upright. There is a mesh area (around the nose) where little Dechen can look out. My son says he will cut a flap for the kid to put his arm through so he can collect candy, a necessary evil maiming of an innocent Totoro...
Meanwhile, I quilted this large string quilt for a customer. The foundations for the blocks are all sorts of different fabrics. 100 years from now, when the quilt falls apart, people will marvel at the ingenuity of the quilter. I like to think some of my quilts might make it 100 years and be marveled over...

The blocks are more or less color coordinated, which gives the quilt a unified, orderly look.
I like the blue vertical sashing strips, too!

The quilter wanted a loose pattern, so I chose Twinkling Swirls.

Blue paisley backing.
My Army daughter spent the night in the V.A. hospital in Tucson. She had sudden numbness in her arms while at weekend duty. While she was there, the QOV coordinator found out and called in to see her. There was a brief discussion about the QOV I made, and my Daughter said she'd love to have it. I guess it made her day to have the ceremony there in the hospital. This morning, I got this  picture and the news she had been discharged to await the test results. It's an odd finish to the QOV story, but a nice one.

God bless our troops, and thank you for your service!





1 comment:

  1. I hope your daughter gets better soon, and love the photo of her with her QOV in the hospital. I am a total fan of Totoro, and at the last quilt show, just bought a kit to make a small tote bag with him on the front (using all the wonderful Japanese taupe fabrics). I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.