Sunday, February 2, 2020

Everyone quilts at Wazoo!

Mr Wazoo gets stronger every day, and he has taken his recovery seriously. He exercises every day, eats healthy foods and works on his balance. I wish I had the same zeal for healthy living that he has...
We were both in the studio this week (mostly because the weather wouldn't cooperate with being outside) and he finished his first customer quilt since the stroke. With just the one quilt finish, I think he deserves Employee of the Month for January!

This pretty little strip quilt was Mr W's first effort after the stroke.

Panto: Ribbon Roses

A peek at the back.
I finished the Gammill portion of the custom quilt ( the hand guided parts), and transferred the quilt to the Millie to work the computerized block patterns. I can't quilt roses that are perfect and beautiful, and I think this quilt deserved some perfection. I'm glad to have it finished and move on to the next custom project. This is a beautiful quilt!

The pattern is Nancy Mahoney's feathered star. I took the same class as the customer, but mine is languishing as a UFO for now.

The center medallion was quilted by the Millie, and is more perfect than I could ever do.

All the borders were hand guided quilting.

The backing is fun to look at, too.
After the feathered star was finished, I loaded this customer quilt. More the norm, the backing came as a long piece of fabric, and I had to cut, sew and press it before beginning the quilting. I really like this customer, but charged her a small fee anyway. Thirty extra minutes to fix something I shouldn't have to deserves to be compensated for. My time is as precious as yours. Enough soap box...here is the quilt.

This is an interesting pattern that I may make in the future. It would be a quick quilt for charity. I also made, applied and hand sewed the black, sparkly binding!

Panto: African Samba

The notorious backing.
Later in the afternoon, I decided to take a little 'me time' and play with some more of the orphan blocks. Someone gave me 18 small batik blocks and I got them out to play with. I made two more to have enough for a decent sized project, and began to ponder how to make the quilt large enough to use. I struck upon an idea, and spent an hour or so adding to the blocks and planning the quilt. Time well spent? I think so. I need to stretch my creative muscle every day to keep from becoming bored with my actual job. I hope to get the little top put together today (my sew-for-myself day) and show it to you. 
I also have a vintage top, acquired years ago, loaded on the Millie to quilt while I'm sewing. I love it when a forgotten top is resurrected and made into a useful bed cover. This is a large quilt, and will warm not only the user, but acknowledge the contribution of the maker. It is all hand pieced and must have taken a long time to stitch together. It is also perfectly sewn, square and flat. Wow. You'll see it later.
Off to the studio!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.