Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Home again, home again jigged jog

The speed trip to Texas was certainly a blur! We did what we set out to do; visit Dad and my sister, as well as see the Local guild's quilt show. I'm struggling a bit to get the show in slideshow format on my new computer, and I hope you can open it. Fingers crossed!
The weather didn't cooperate at all. It was cool and rainy or foggy most of the time. No sunbathing...
I think the highlight was the quilt show on South Padre Island. twenty five vendors, a swell bag auction and a really nice talk from quilt historian and author Teresa Duryea Wong.I bought two of her books, American Cotton, Farm to Quilt; and the wonderful Japanese contemporary Quilts and Quilters. The lecture and trunk show of her won quilts was about the textile industry and philosophy of quilt making in Japan. I even got to touch the quilts as an assistant from the audience!
Her beautiful variation on the wedding ring pattern. This is mostly antique indigo kimono fabrics.
The back shows the sahsiko quilting very well
Teresa's latest project. She used antique fabrics in this one, too. It is the Japanese esthetic to use old fabrics, to give them 'new life'.

This back is made from kimono, which are typically made from 14-18 inch wide fabric.



A small wall hanging with a contemporary twist I love the  polka dot sashing!
In Harlingen, we visited the local art museum to see an exhibit of the challenge quilts (Oak Leaf block) from Paducah's last show. For a small museum, they did a great job showcasing the quilts.

An 'artsy' view of one of the rooms from behind a quilt-as-you-go , hand dyed and discharged entry.

There were two rooms dedicated to the quilts. I'm sorry I didn't take individual photos, but I wasn't sure we could, as they had a book of the quilts for sale in their gift shop.

The well stocked shop had all sorts of stuff. I bought a couple of gifts for family members.

The second room of quilts. If you want to see them up close, I am sure AQS probably has a display somewhere on line.
I went to the quilt show both days (look and shop!) and had a wonderful time there. The bag auction was the type where you get a slew of tickets for little money and put them in the corresponding jar to the bag you want to win. I put in a load of tickets and ac tally won a bag both days!! Tomorrow, I'll post photos of my loot. I haven't properly unpacked the show stuff yet. Here are a couple of shots of the auction in progress.

Patrons looking over the selections and making their decisions.

The ticket sellers kept track of the names of the bidders for the final drawings.

I snuck in a picture of their boutique. Pretty small and not too interesting to me. It was fun to see husbands manning their boutique!
Let's see if the slideshow works. Otherwise, I'll have to re-group and try something different.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.