Saturday, February 19, 2022

More quilting and a day closer to back relief

 I am plugging along with the six quilts from my customer, and can see the end is near! Number four was a colorful batik jelly roll, and made a nice backdrop to the elegant quilting.


I like the colors here. The turquoise sets off the sunset colors in the rest of the quilt.

The panto had a paisley and feather vibe, which was a perfect foil to the backing of peacock feathers.


This backing fabric is lovely! Too bad she didn't pop for enough fabric to have the feathers going up instead of across the back. Be careful with directional fabrics on backings! You'll need extra to get the motifs going the right way.

I worked on the baby quilt repair for a couple of days (and evenings!) and I have the top as far along as it is going to be. It is still a tad baggy, but looks soooooo much better. After trimming all the threads, I assessed the back and see it needs some patching. I put it aside for now, and will come back to it shortly.

Here is a midway picture. I forgot to take the before picture, so there are already six frames sewn on.

You can see that the frames have covered the worst of the worn through spots, and the bagginess is really obvious.

All the frames are on and I have cleverly (ha ha) hidden some of the bulk under the frames as I went along. I also stitched around the little quilted motifs (where cornerstones would be) and took in more of the bulk there. I smoothed fabric out toward the edges, and re-sewed the zig-zag finish the maker used, hiding the folds under the stitching. It still has some baggy spots, but is much better.

The zig-zagged motifs are really cute, and got lost in all that bagging of the fabrics. I flattened them out as best I could and stitched over the new folds of fabric.

Not perfect, but now you can see the squirrel!

Quilt five of the six quilt project was this chilly selection of fabrics. I thought the fabrics exuded winter so I used a wintery panto and thread selection.

This jelly roll of frosty batiks makes a sharp contrast to its purpose...to keep someone warm!

The backing was a low contrast leaf fabric.

Panto: Fresh Snow, in silver Glide thread.

It is always exciting to get a package, and I was thrilled to get my Elsie Campbell book of string quilts. I love her use of color in quilts, and have several pins of her designs on my Pinterest account. I made one of her patterns after seeing the actual quilt from her book Squares and Triangles when I was visiting Amish country in Pennsylvania. There was an exhibit of her quilts upstairs in a fabric store, and I was hooked. I bought the book and made the quilt. Today I got Elsie's book, String Quilts, and am itching to make two of the patterns in the book.

Here is the book. All the quilts are beautiful!

This quilt makes me  very happy. I would love to make it.


This one is the one that made me buy the book. I have to make this quilt!

This is the quilt Elsie made, and it was in her book. I saw it and my heart beat faster. 

This is my attempt to make the pattern from the book. I really enjoyed making it and still enjoy it on my guest bed to this day.

I am pleased to say I finished number six of the jelly roll quilts. My customer came today and I am on to the next project. I have a repair in the works as well as a large modern quilt on the longarm. I'm loving the quilting pattern on it, and will be showing you when I finish the quilting.

The last of six very nice quilts for the customer's family.

The panto is Posy Feathers

Another great backing, too.

This sums it up, doesn't it? After a haircut tomorrow, I'll be back in the studio.
I love quilting and hope to do it for years to come.


























No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.