Friday, July 3, 2020

Sari quilts progress, and other miscellany

Yesterday was a wonderful day for finishing up some of the sari quilts. I quilted the big wall hanging, added the hanging sleeve and binding, and did the hand work last night! It is finished.


The quilting went slowly, with thread breakage in most rows. I don't think the gold threads in the fabric liked the So Fine thread! I changed the needle twice, finally settling on the size 16. 


The pattern is actually a block pattern. I used it like a panto and it worked perfectly for the project.


I had this wide backing in my stash, and opted to use it instead of the swanky fabric I originally chose. The quilt will be on a wall, so why use the expensive fabric for the back? Good choice to use for this project. The binding is the batik in the outer half square triangles. 


The next quilt is this eye popping unicorn quilt for a customer who needed it done ASAP. She requested unicorn quilting, so I found the pattern and went for it. 


The quilt is a panel with bright blocks and borders. A little girl will love this!


Hopefully, you can spot the unicorn better on the solid backing. The panto is called Stars and Unicorns


Back to Saris for the next quilt. One of the elephant baby quilts. The soft and very squidgy fabric made the quilting a challenge, but it came out soft and cuddly for one of the twins I made them for.


Elephant quilt number one! All done. I added the purple binding by machine (not shown here) and it is ready to go.


I found two different elephant themed backings. This is the first one.


The panto is a stylized meander that came with the computer program. I can't remember the name of it, but it looked a lot like the pattern in the fabric, so I chose it. You can see it best on the solid color elephant.


The second quilt looks very much like the first one.


The blanket on the elephant is different, but the same panto was used.



I also used a different backing. The binding is on and sewn down. One more quilt to go!

The blue and silver sari was the last quilt. I used the sari for all but the solid blue in the  Dresden plate and the background fabric. With the fused interfacing, it was so much easier to quilt than the baby quilts!


I wish you could see it in person...it is so much prettier! The silk has a sheen, and the depth of color is much more apparent.


The backing is also from the sari. The whole quilt is very soft and lovely. The sleeve and binding are the same blue as seen in the dresden plate. I will do the hand sewing tonight.


Panto: Taka

The last quilt for this customer is an eye spy quilt for her little grandson. She didn't want him to feel left out when the grown daughters get the quilts for the twins and the wall hanging. She wanted the fabric from the twin quilts and wall hanging to be in his quilt, too. The big wall hanging is for the customer's husband, whose mother it was who wore the saris.


The quilt has its red binding on now and is ready to go! Can you spy the sari fabrics?


I did a simple meander for the quilting


The bicycle backing is from my stash.

Also yesterday, My friend Audrey came over and took Mr Wazoo's Gammill for a spin. He guided her with the loading and stood by while she did the quilting. She did a great job on the charity quilt I made a couple of days ago. Thanks, Audrey!!


Remember these wild cows? They turned out really cute!


Panto: Popcorn


The backing is this laundry-line print.
I haven't shown many yard photos lately. It seems to rain every time I'm ready to quit for the day! Today was no exception, but I just beat the shower while trudging up the hill.  I hope it's nice tomorrow for the holiday. Mr W will be grilling some ribs!

Mr Wazoo added this laughing Buddah riding a turtle to his Japanese maple berm.


The day lillies do their thing and then die during the night. I always think its a shame they only live one day!


The drift roses have something nibbling their leaves, but the heavenly scent makes up for the 'holey' leaves! ha ha...see what I did there?

Have a wonderful Fourth, and stay safe!

















1 comment:

  1. I simply can't believe all you get done. Your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.