Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Hump day

We're churning along with Mr Wazoo's therapy and are making great strides. Yesterday, he drove for the first time! Everything went without incident and I breathed a sigh of relief. I have been spending time doing a repair of an 80 year old teddy bear, and continuing to repair a trip around the world quilt I have had for an embarrassingly long time. I hope to load a custom project today to work on while Millie helps me quilt another customer quilt. Here are a few pictures of what has been going on here at Wazoo.

I replaced 16 patches on the bear, as well as sewing two black dots under the shoe button eyes. They had pulled so much over the years that they were hanging precariously from his face. I took them off, repaired the holes and sewed them back on.

My patches, like the one under his arm here, are a little brighter, but historically accurate reproductions.

The entire rear end was a giant hole with fluff leaking out. I replaced the outside right arm, the left rear end and foot, and the far right side of his head.

Cheek, arm, chest and eyes are all new.

Believe it or not, this is a QOV from the national group.  It's pretty, but not their usual patriotic style or colors. Also, it is too small for their guidelines of being at least 60 x 70. This one is 63" square. My job is to quilt them. I hope someone does quality assurance and measures them before handing them out. I would hate to think I am being taken advantage of by a quilter who sees a free batting and quilting. I also pay the postage to mail this back to Virginia!

I tried out a new panto called Streamers and Stars.

The backing is patriotic. We'll see what happens. I generally don't hear from QOV again after the pairing of maker and quilter is made.

Meanwhile, I spent a couple of hours going through my orphan blocks and sorting out 2-3-2-6 remnants. I have made over 200 of these quilts, mostly for charity, and have loads of left over blocks. I sorted out 175 of them and sewed up 4 patches from them to make a larger quilt for charity.
The first two rows are here to be sewn together today.

Here are the rest of the blocks, ready to be joined together for a swell scrappy quilt. There are a bunch left over on the ironing board that I will make into a smaller quilt along with orphan 6" focus fabric blocks.
I have replaced  a hundred squares on the trip quilt, and probably have another 50 to go. Here is what I am replacing. There are also a few holes in the back that I need to patch.The customer must think I have fallen off the face of the earth because of the amount of time it is taking! I'll get there...

The blue floral squares have been done. The white/orange ones have not.

The blue squares need to be replaced, the yellow floral ones are done.

Pink stripes done, light blue...not.

Blue and white, done, as well as the far left floral ones. The multi colored floral, not done.

The white and pink squares are all done, as are the pink striped ones. The dark blue dots that have holes need to be done. I took the picture to take to fabric shops during the hunt for the appropriate fabrics for the repair. It has been an ongoing hunt!

Every time I work on the quilt, I see more things to repair. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever finish!


1 comment:

  1. I cannot imagine patching and replacing squares on a quilt, especially that many. I did one quilt that needed a new backing and batting. It used upholstery fabrics- a coin quilt. After it was all reconstructed I vowed to never, ever do it again. I will just make a new quilt based on the worn one. You are awesomely patient.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.