Sunday, March 15, 2020

Everything grinding to a halt!

Geez, this corona virus is a bummer of Goliath magnitude. The grocery store was an ordeal and I was just there for my regular shop. I got everything I went for except a box of Kraft original Mac and cheese. We'll have beanie weenie instead of weenie and mac. No big whoop. Thankfully, I didn't need TP, bread, or hamburger. All missing in action. Standing in the checkout line took 30 minutes. I'm happy to stay at home!! Guild is being canceled and the other two churches we sew at as a guild are closed to group meetings. I'm one of the lucky ones who already works from home. And I have enough quilting to last weeks!
Remember I told you I would show you my finished dot to dot quilt? Well, here it is! Binding on and ready to go. I am really happy with how it turned out.

Here it is! Quilted and batting sewn on but not finished.

Panto: Stacked Snailz

The backing is a mix of Wisconsin fabric (Go Badgers!!) and the sewing city scene.

Here it is with the binding finished.

I used the half square triangles and leftover bits from making the body of the quilt for the border between the circles and the red  border.
The big outdoorsy quilt is also done. The snowflake pattern was the perfect touch.

The customer came and picked it up today. She liked it, too.

Panto: Snow Flurry

Hiking backing.
Next on the list was this quilt from 1970. Someone gave the basted quilt to the customer, and she brought it to me to quilt and finish.While removing the basting  I was amazed by the perfection of her hand piecing and the meticulous fussy cutting of the block elements. Aside from the fabrics, which were what was available in the 70s, the quilt is a lovely example of a sampler quilt. I wish it was mine...

A bit old fashioned, but well constructed.

Panto: Baptist fan
Look at the fussy cut star points. What a nice touch.

Another block with fussy cut elements and numerous points converging perfectly.

Bottom left star all fussy cut.

Oops! Even sideways you can appreciate the deliberate placement of the green stripes.

More fussy cutting and more converging points.

Pretty green bow tie with flowers.

Even the striped fabric is all the same!

Remember, this is all  hand pieced.


This card trick block is masterfully sewn. Look at the stripes!
Can you spot the seams?

A better look at the quilting.

Small floral calico on the back. I think most of these fabrics are Thimbleberrys.

I had  this peach stripe for the binding in my stash. I laughed when I read the selvage and it was a Thimbleberry fabric. Oh dear...how long have I had this? I am going to hand sew it tomorrow.
A friend of mine is taking a quilting skills class and everyone is making an assortment of different blocks to practice the skills they learn. Most of the students will make a sampler quilt, but my friend made a set of beautiful placemats! What a good idea. I had to squeeze them on the backing, but they all fit!

Eight different placemats, all well made, too!

The Panto was a freebie when I upgraded the computer software on Millie. It didn't have a name,  just a number. It is big leaves.

I love this backing fabric. The customer will get plenty of practice applying binding eight times!
I'm making progress on the king size quilt, finishing the center part. I'll be doing the big border next.

I'm getting there.
Just a couple of other things before I sign off. I loaded up a charity quilt made by a guild member, and I am thinking about how to avoid the bunny ears on one of the blocks. More on this tomorrow. Also, the first student quilt from my cats on the stairs class finished her top! I think it is beautiful. All batiks.

The quilt is loaded and the bunny is rolled up on the leader for now.

Here is Sue's quilt top! She loves cats and these look like her past and present ones.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.