Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Is it May...or am I crazy?

We woke up to 39 degrees and more rain. Yeesh...I thought it was supposed to be Spring! We went from AC to heat in 24 hours. Oh well, cool and rainy is good for quilting.
I have a customer who was cleaning out her garage for something to do during the self quarantine and found a box of quilt tops she made in the 70s and never finished. She brought four of them to me, and I have been having a good time quilting them.

On the way to the studio, I had to stop and admire the iris again. They are so large, and sparkly with rain.

Mr Wazoo's roses were hanging low after the hard rain, so he was busy tying them up to the trellis. There are so many roses on the bush, it was dragging the ground under the weight.

I got to this point with the tee shirt quilt yesterday at quitting time. I spent my work day appliqueing  circles from the shirts, and making the sashing.

  
This is the first of the four quilts from the 70s. It is all hand pieced, yet it lies completely flat!

All scrappy bits on a beige background. The panto is called Chantilly.

Most of the backing is this sweet green and pink calico.

Pieced into the backing was a big chunk of green. It is easier to see the pattern here.

The second quilt is this log cabin star pattern. The colors and fabrics are typical of the 70s when burgundy, dark green and dusty pink were all the rage. Think of bank, lawyer and doctor's office decor...

The fabric had pink roses featured, so I chose Climbing Roses for the panto.

Plain muslin backing.

I got this far on the tee shirt quilt. When I laid it out, I saw that one of the rows was a squidge off where the sashing meets. It's still bugging me, so I will probably take it apart and fix it tomorrow. Then I'll finish the top and maybe, get it quilted! The customer wants two quilts, so the shirts need to be prepped for the second one, too.
Bad news from the day guild. There will be no meetings in May or June. I have cancelled my booked speakers and one class. I'm wondering if I will be able to teach my own class in June. This is sure an uncertain time, making simple decisions more difficult. I'm going to stay home and quilt until it all passes over. Let's all keep on quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.