Wednesday, June 3, 2020

GRRRR!!! Another breakdown.




Yesterday started out very badly. I loaded a tee shirt quilt on Millie, picked and sized the pattern I wanted and tried to quilt. Nope. Grinding noise...jerky movement and warning message. Mr Wazoo came to my aid after I tried over and over to get the computer running, and even he wasn't able to get it to work. I texted APQS and after some discussion, we decided to replace the motor. We did this in March, but it didn't solve the problem, so we sent the motor back and put the old one back on. Since then, we have replaced the two long belts and the cables that run the thing. We have taken it apart, jiggled everything, repositioned stuff, tightened everything and had it limping along for a couple of weeks. Every once in a while it wouldn't go, so Mr W taped the connection between the new cable and the motor, which solved the problem. We tried that yesterday, but it didn't work. The $545 motor will be here Friday. If it doesn't work, I will be calling the corporate office.
Meanwhile, I made some replacement pieces for the new repair job, finished the small custom job, hand sewed the binding on the citron quilt and also made the blocks for a commissioned wall hanging.

The little penny rug is done. I love the color combination as well as the precise hand buttonhole stitching on the pieces of wool.
I kept the quilting simple. I stitched very close to each element, then echoed a quarter inch away. Then, pebbled my way across the surface, adding a swirl every once in a while.
Here is what the back looks like. Not perfect, but cool to look at!


This is the mock up of the wall hanging on my EQ. The center will have machine embroidered lettering of the wedding toast of the couple the project is for.

The blocks are made with a 3D square for the knot.

The customer's sister is my friend and the groom's aunt, so while she was visiting, we selected the fabrics for the ties. texting photos back and forth to Florida, and  settling on the design and fabrics. Technology is wonderful!
I had to add a few more because I decided to make the blocks smaller. The bigger ones looked a bit clunky.

These blocks finish at 4 inches.


Aren't they cute?!
I tried this layout just for fun, but the bowtie shape gets lost when the eye sees the half circle secondary pattern.
Just right! Once the embroidery is done, I can put it together and add the borders.
I've been pinning the new pieces to the  repair quilt as I go along. What you see here are the freezer paper templates I make for each piece.
We also have clematis in front of our propane tank. Our deed restrictions state any  mechanicals in the yard have to have something in front of them so they can't be seen from the street. Mr Wazoo put a trellis in front of the tank and planted a climbing rose and a clematis there. Much prettier than a piece of wood fencing.
The Stella d'Oro Lillies are blooming like crazy!
The clematis on the front of the house are going gangbusters, too!!

Every Grandma's joy, a picture and caption from her 4 year old grandson. He dictated the  sentiment; "I hope you have a good nice day and will be okay and stay there and be there for love, because we want to meet you." He understands that he can't see us right now because of the Covid virus. He understands why he has to wear a mask and can't go to his pre-school...too much for a four year old to grasp, I think.
I don't think my son would show him what's going on now with the protests and violence. He might explain it, but they don't have TV, so the little one wouldn't see it . What do you tell children these days? Parenting was hard in the 70s and it is really hard today.
I added the new picture to the closet door gallery, and cried a little. I'll keep wearing my mask because I want to be there for love, too.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.