Monday, August 3, 2020

Slow, restful weekend

I am still wrestling with which size font to use in the new blogger format. Why is large so much bigger than normal? I think they need a size in between the two choices. Which do you like better? I like large, because it is easier to read. Here we go...
I took some time to unwind over the weekend. Mr Wazoo and I took a long car ride through the mountain countryside, ending at the grocery store where we replenished our freezer and pantry. Being away from the house and work for a couple of hours was just what I needed. So, I didn't quilt my brains out or sew more blocks. I did finish two cute charity quilts and one Grandchild quilt.

As you can see from the page of my own quilts here on Newsbits, I make a lot of this pattern. It is a free pattern from Quiltmaker called Warm Wishes. Usually, it is made with 2, 3 and 6 inch strips. My friend Gail worked out how to increase the size of the quilt from crib size (38 x 48") to this very useable lap robe size ( 50 x 60). She increased the strip sizes to 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 7 1/2. How simple...and yet, I didn't think of it! I plan to make some this size, since the assembly is second nature to me, and I can make a flimsy in just an hour, from cutting to finish!

The focus fabric is this darling farm print.

The animals and the colors are bright and fun

I used the simple panto, Modern Twist, to keep the quilt soft and cuddly.

Same quilt pattern, totally different look. Changing the fabrics to a more sophisticated palette makes the difference.

The focus fabric is a lush combination of colors in a beautiful paisley pattern. I chose a swirly feather panto in the thread in the  red-purple family for the quilting.

You can see the quilting better on the back.

Next, I quickly knocked out this little panel. It is a baby quilt for a new grandchild.



The panto is called Forest Floor, and echos the leaves in the areas around the pictures.


Looking at the back, you can see why I chose the quilting pattern.

I'll be back to work in earnest today, and hope to have the 140 half square triangles trimmed and the blocks finished for the shabby chic project. You must be getting sick of hearing about that particular project, but I can't help it. It has become a slog to keep going, as I am not very enthusiastic about it anymore. I am anxious to get to something colorful and exciting. I learned a good lesson: stick to what makes you happy. This will be the second to last ( I still have a load of the fabric) shabby chic quilt I make! Bear with me, I will get it done!
Now, enjoy this rare photograph of a nearly clear cutting table. Ooooooo!! Nice!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.