Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Busy weekend with some quilting thrown in

 I spent some time on my presentation this weekend, and have all but the live part done. I will be giving a Zoom presentation for a virtual quilt show on the 9th. When I have all the particulars, I'll post them here so you can come see the fun. The show is free, put on by the Rio Grande Valley Quilt Guild. Fingers crossed it will not be a disaster!

I also put together the January newsletter for the evening guild. There isn't a pack of news because of Covid, so it is more of a "what's up?", with show and tell. Loads of pictures and some newsy bits from the members.

Work is progressing well on the black, whits and red custom sampler. I have finished all the colors but black. Quilting black on black is hard on the eyes and difficult to keep designs from running into one another. All I have left is the four appliquéd border backgrounds.


I was working on the red when I took this picture

Meanwhile, I added the borders onto the vintage wedding ring quilt and quilted the vintage Dresden plate top. The binding is on and I did about half the hand sewing on Saturday night. The binding went on the wedding ring quilt today, and I'll finish that one after the other is done. Then they will both get a thorough cleaning before going home.

The Dresden plate has a few tucks accidentally quilted in, but I am not too upset...the top was wonky with a lot of fullness in the blocks.

Panto: Baptist Fan

Plain muslin backing, but with a lovely hand. It is a Moda fabric.

This is a strange wedding ring quilt. I love that the maker probably saw one somewhere and decided to make it with no idea how to go about it. There are arcs that overlap eachother, but weren't sewn down where they overlapped! The pink squares and triangles are sewn over the arcs. It may be a weird way to make the rings, but they look fine. I added the pink inner border and calico outer border. The binding is also pink.

Panto: Splat

This is the silkiest cotton fabric I have ever seen. It is soft and drapes fabulously! It is a Moda, along the feel of the French General fabrics.

I also did some customer quilting over the weekend. This beauty is the customer's first quilt! It was absolutely perfect. I love perfect quilts!

The colors are pleasing, the blocks all square and flat and the backing (drumroll please...) was plenty big enough!

Panto: Garden Fairies, although there are no fairies in the pattern. Go figure.

This fabric is so pretty!!

Today, I quilted this log cabin quilt that will be a wedding gift. Too small backing. A couple of seams open. It took an hour to remedy the situation and get the quilt loaded. It was smooth sailing from there.

The ciustomer made the quilt with the requested colors from the happy couple. Do you see the misplaced block? She's going to kick herself later.

They also wanted a geometric panto, nothing cutesy. This is Woven Wind, like a curvy log cabin!

The backing is ombre brown. I added a similar color brown to both sides to make it big enough.

I started my next repair job on Sunday. I needed one for the demo that goes along with my presentation. The quilt is colorful and scrappy, but has 55 pieces to replace. It will take a while to do.

This is the quilt. the spiderweb blocks are a little wonky.

I have placed safety pins where I need to replace a fabric.

One border really needs help. Holes all the way through the quilt are a challenge.


You have to admit, the fabrics are fun to look at.

I'm off to bed after I take Penny out for her last trot. Tomorrow I get my second Covid vaccine, and will have a zoom meeting to give my presentation a dry run. I hope I don't fail too badly. I've worked hard on this! I'll tell you how it went in the next post.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.