Wednesday, March 3, 2021

My rotary cutter bit me!!

 If you're not a quilter, you won't understand just what happened to me today. I was happily trimming a finished customer quilt, and my rotary cutter jumped the ruler edge and sliced a big chunk off the top of my left middle finger, including half of my fingernail down into the nail bed. Needless to say, I let out a profane scream of pain. I must have sliced a small artery, because the spray of blood droplets went in a wide arc over the pristine quilt.

This is the exact model of cutter I was using. A 60 mm Olfa.

If you aren't familiar with them, A rotary cutter is like a pizza cutter but with a razorblade for the wheel.
Trust me...it really hurts!!
Mr Wazoo sped me over to the ER and I got cauterized and patched up. Needless to say, It will take a long time to rejuvenate skin and regrow the nail. Did I say it really hurts? It really hurts! I have been fortunate to never cut myself before in thirty years of quilting.

Back in the studio with my new attractive dressing.

I got a nice message from my eldest daughter who will be having a birthday on Friday. She said she really liked the men in hats quilt, so I decided to do this...

Binding on and ready to go!

Happy Birthday!

No more quilting got done. I spent an hour or so spitting on the blood droplets (FYI: only the enzymes in the bleeder's spit will remove the bleeder's blood) and using a bit of Oxyclean liquid and elbow grease to get the last shadows of stain off the customer's quilt. Thankfully, the blood all came out. I will take a picture tomorrow. Right now, I'll leave my hard core quilting friends with this.









2 comments:

  1. I cut my index finger the same way a couple of years ago, took six stitches

    ReplyDelete
  2. feel better soon, boy can i relate to that clip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.