Sunday, May 17, 2020

Spanking clean house!

Yesterday was a good day for cleanliness at Wazoo. We had the house power washed, and the barn quilt taken down. It's sad about the barn quilt, but it had severe splitting of the plywood it was made of, and was curling up on the edges. Having the sun beating on it all day, coupled with rain getting into the plus of the wood, led to a quick demise. ( four years!) We had a new one made with the same pattern, and this time, on metal! Nobody would take the offer of  putting it up where the other one was, so it will be between the windows of my studio, close to the ground, but visible from the road. Mr Wazoo, not so handy with power tools, will have to figure out how to put it up.
The inside is mostly clean, too, thanks to Judy, our wonderful twice monthly splurge for a cleaner. We were just talking about cleaning there studio...a monumental task I have never done since moving here. Five years and all I have done is vacuum, take down cobwebs, dust the fan blades and clean the machines. I'm a stickler for a clean machine. Soon, but not today!
In the studio, I quilted the fifties project and added the binding. I love how it looks and wish it belonged to me!

After some re-sewing to get the seams to match up at the corners, it was done. I had a red and white tiny gingham that was also in the original quilt, and used it for the binding.

The panto is Rounded Squares

I opted for a quality Kona muslin wide backing.
The next project t was a two sided  tee shirt quilt. Unfortunately, the maker made the front and back exactly the same size. The side borders were 5 inches wider than the top and bottom ones, so I cut off 4 inches from each side of one, and sewed them to the top and bottom of the other to make it into the back. I was careful to line up front to back, and it came out perfectly!

Here's one side. The customer also wanted a label made and applied. I made it a circle and appliqué it to the tan block later. I don't have a picture of it, so as not to embarrass the maker. She wanted it green, so I made it green!

A request from the recipient, the quilting pattern is graduation friendly. Mortar board caps with tassels called You Did It!

This is the other side...the back? I did the binding in the same blue as the borders.

All the 'Block A' pieces for my Irish chain quilt have been pressed and trimmed. I don't know why I had such a pile of leftover bits...I think I must have done something wrong. Oh well, I'll find a use for them in the future. I'm hoping to get the 'Block B' parts made today and get it up on the design wall.
What's your plan for today?

Sliver trimmings. I was happy the blocks were nearly all perfectly sized, although some of the seams did match perfectly. No taking apart on this project...I am making this as a therapeutic exercise, and I refuse to stress over it.

Blocks are so pretty when they are trimmed and well pressed.
But...why do I have all this leftover? Oops...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.