Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Alone again, naturally.

Remember the song, Alone again, naturally? That's what it feels like during this COVID 19 thing. I have spent hours and hours in the studio with just Molly for company, and I am beginning to like it. Have always been a social creature, so this is a new thing for me. Not that I don't like seeing friends and going places...I can see that I could live away from civilization and do fine. Occasionally, a customer comes to drop off or pick up quilts, but most of my time is spent listening to music or programs with loads of narrative on TV while I quilt.
I worked on the custom embroidered quilt yesterday again, and I am in the last row of blocks. Two more to go! Then it is sashing and borders, and another finish!
Here is what I accomplished with Millie yesterday while custom quilting 0n the Gammill.

The first of three QOVs is ready to go. I like the scrappy blocks.

Panto: Star Shine

There was quite a bit of backing left over, and I think it will show up in another QOV in the future!

I did two of these water and fish quilts. Very pretty, but with a huge problem. More about that in a minute...


Panto: Simply Fish

I like the water backing, too.

Here is the second backing loaded on the machine. See the strip of fabric at the top? I added 6 inches to the top and bottom of the backing to make the backs big enough to accommodate the tops. 

On the sides, the customer only allowed 1 1/2 inches of backing, and that included the selvedge!

Keeping the quilt arrow straight, and the clamps barely gripping the sides, I was able to get them quilted. Trust me, I will be having a word of education with the customer when she comes! This is quilt number two.

Same panto

Different backing.
It doesn't look like I did a whole lot for a long day in the studio, but while quilting free motion on one machine, monitoring and advancing the quilting on the other, all while answering the phone and greeting customers at the door, it made for a full day. I am busy the whole time. And when I'm busy, time flies!

Here are a few mid-summer shots of the garden. Mr Wazoo has been tending his plants, weeding and dead-heading . I don't know how he does it in this heat! Oh well, it keeps him happy and occupied.
I have a Zoom meeting with the quilt guild board this morning, so I need to get busy and try to get on the call. Last time it didn't work for me. I am using the Mac today, hoping that will be easier. Have a wonderful day and wear your mask when you go out!

A couple of bees enjoying the St John's Wort

Early morning dappled shade in the side garden

Butterfly bush in full glory

Hybrid Hydrangea, lacy and beautiful

I think it looks like a cool cloud in the hot sky.

We keep a water plant in the bird bath. It keeps the water crystal clear for the birds without having to constantly clean the bath or add chemicals. We use them in the fountain bath, too.

Hosta in bloom. The flowers are a light lavender color that doesn't show up correctly in photos.


2 comments:

  1. Your garden is amazing. I love the birdbath idea. I do need contact with people otherwise I get too set and stuck in my preferences and way of thinking. I need feedback and to listen to other's art/quilt ideas. I teach my Bible class on Zoom, but it is hard to teach without the body language and presence of real people in the same room with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching is one thing I do miss. I also love giving trunk shows and hearing the comments and questions from fellow quilters.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.