Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Under the weather

Late yesterday afternoon I started feeling something going on in my guts. I figured something I had eaten earlier didn't agree with me and was in full rebellion in my innards. After several trips to the bathroom and waves of nausea, I finally succumbed and quit working at 5:30. I spent the evening rolled in a quilt in my recliner, sipping water and feeling miserable. By 9:00, I felt a bit better and had a bowl of chicken noodle soup.  Nope...went straight through. Off to bed at 11 and up at 7, feeling better, but not fine. I plan to go slowly today, taking liquids and resting if I don't feel well. I hate being sick, so it shouldn't last long or stop me from quilting.
Meanwhile, I did get something accomplished yesterday. The third quilt from the same customer with the small backings had the same problem. Back too small. I again added strips to top and bottom, worked to keep the top sides straight and within the 1 1/2 inch margin on the backing sides, and finished it!

The quilt is a 2-3-2-6 variation, using a modern Christmas fabric with Grunge fabrics complimenting nicely.

Panto: Snow fall

The backing is pieced with another fabric from the Christmas collection and more Grunge.

I worked on the custom quilt, finishing all the blocks, one border, and about half the sashing before feeling too ill to soldier on. Hopefully, I'll finish it today. 

Heart shaped leaves and little daisies in the corners to echo the embroidery and heart shapes in the quilt.

Just before giving up for the day, I moved some of the blocks around on the design wall. Oh boy! Do I ever have a lot of sewing to do. I am not even half done with the block making for this project. Oh well, I have nothing but time these days, and will fill a tiny portion of it with block construction to maintain my sanity and equilibrium. COVID cases up to 145 in our county, with five deaths. Will this ever end? I hope so.

I think I'll like it...I sure hope so. This is so far outside my wheelhouse, I am second guessing every combination of fabrics in the blocks! When it's finished, the quilting should make it a bit more lively.

We have had a thunderstorms so wild lately, I even unplugged all the machines for a half hour or so yesterday. Mr Wazoo said lightening hit a tree behind the house and blew the bark right off! He said branches were also blown off and laying all around the tree. We don't live on the tippy top of the mountain, and I am glad. There will always be something taller than our house to attract lightening! Figuring the new trellis is about six feet tall, you can appreciate the height of the forest behind us. Those trees are big!

View from the back porch, into the woods and up to the top of the mountain. I'd guess it is another 250 feet or so of incline before the terrain levels off for a bit, and then tapers away on the other side. The woods are part of the Chattahoochie National Forest, and there are no houses behind us for miles. I like that. We're not isolated, our neighborhood has about twenty houses, well distanced from one another, but still close enough to feel the ties of community.
Time to get started and see how the day progresses. There are quilts to be done, blocks to be made, and people to please. Hey, it keeps me going and gives me a reason to get up every day. I can't imagine not having some sort of hobby to indulge during the difficult time we're in. Off to work!




1 comment:

  1. Make sure you take care of yourself. Sometimes such severe nausea and results are something else going on. Keep an eye on any other symptoms and don't wait to get help. From a sudden heart attack survivor.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.