Friday, July 31, 2020

Seeing triple!

I finished the last of three beautiful log cabin quilts from the same customer, and they are going to be wonderful gifts. The customer requested 'No trim', so this is a good time to show you what quilts look like hot off the frame. A bit messy looking, but still nice!

I really like the star pattern made by this block placement

Panto: Flower Child ( I have been calling this Flower Power, but looked closer at the name and I was wrong!)

Bright purple back.

Another star, but in these hot colors, it gives a totally different vibe.

Panto: Amethyst

The backing looks sort of like the covid virus...or maybe I just have covid on the brain...

This one is my favorite! The fabrics have more sparkle to them and the colors are perfect together. I love it!

Panto: Splat
You may wonder why they all have curvy, loose patterns...it was the customer's  request for the quilts to be soft and usable and not have geometric patterns.

Lovely white on white backing.

I went on a road trip yesterday to Cumming to drop off two sewing machines at Sewing Doc, and look for the fabrics I need to do the next repair. One of my customers has an ancient Sears machine in a cabinet that hasn't been serviced e-v-e-r!! Mr Wazoo went to her home and removed the machine from the cabinet and brought it here for me to take to the shop. I also sent along the Singer 401-A that I got free from a fellow quilter whose daughter didn't want it. I have a 401-A that runs like a top, and think it would be nice to have another one for when I finally have a room for sewing friends to come over and sew with me.
The Sears machine must weigh 50 pounds!! Lordy, it is heavy. The Sewing Doc said this is a sought after machine that is a workhorse when it comes to longevity. I'm sure my customer will be thrilled with it when it is tuned up and spanking clean.
The repair is for the same customer whose machine I took in. She got it as a wedding gift from her aunt, and the customer is in her 80s. The quilt is old and has been loved to tatters. Here is a look at the fabrics I was trying to mimic with new ones.

I found fabrics for both the blue floral and the little flowered background.

This patterned fabric was the hardest to find a good substitute for. I have something I think will work, and also bought some solid fabric that I guessed would match the background after the quilt is washed. It is a bit lighter than this background, but you have seen first hand how different the solids look after cleaning!

I'll have two of these blocks to re-make.

I also found a good substitute for the floral here, but struck out on the stripe. I will have to hunt further for that particular one.

Someone already replaced the corners of this block with a calico that doesn't match the rest of the fabric in the background. I found a yellow flowered fabric that will do nicely for the remaining worn pieces.

I'll take some pictures of the new fabrics today, beside the ones that I am repairing. Some are quite different in intensity, but I think they will all look fine when all is said and done.
Off topic...if you have a Freddys fast food joint in your area, I recommend the patty melt. I love patty melts, and had one yesterday (eaten in the car) that made my day even better. The three of us in the car also indulged in dessert, and I had a turtle sundae. Heaven! That stop made a great day even better. Now, it's time to go back to work. 


4 comments:

  1. Lovely log cabins. I can't even imagine repairing the quilt. I tried one once and it was a mess to try and do. Never again. I only use vintage Singers and can give them a good spa treatment and adjusting. I offer to do it for people in return for supporting my comfort quilt supplies and costs. No one seems willing to give them up lately for cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were closer, I'd take you up on it. The girl who refurbishes old machines came and spoke to our guild. She and her husband do the business together. They had some used machines there for sale. The last thing I need is another machine, but they had the prettiest seafood green Singer from the fifties...I'm thinking about it.

      Delete
  2. The repair quilt looks about like the one I have that belonged to my Mom & Dad. I'm so hesitant about trying to repair it. I may need to come talk to you!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.