Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Beautiful weather...slow work days

For the first time in weeks, the temperatures have been warm instead of hot, and the humidity was nonexistent. Going outside and enjoying the gardens and wildlife took me away from the studio and gave me some healing time. I miss Molly so much, but I know there will be a pup in our future. 

In the studio, I finished quilting the BQ2 and have it here by my chair waiting for the hand sewing on the binding to be done.

Here it is. What is astonishing is I have made two quilts from my shabby chic stash and still have a full shelf of the stuff! How does this happen?

Panto: Climbing roses

I found this beautiful backing at the sale I went to last week.

The reason the binding hasn't been sewn is I have customer quilts to bind, and they come first. I finished the first of seven vintage tops made by the customer's Grandma, and have them bound and ready for a wash. The other four need repair before I can quilt them.

Both are trip around the world quilts done with the most interesting 1950s fabrics. I also love the color combinations the maker chose.

Panto: Flower Power in turquoise thread

This is one of the flat fold fabrics I got for a song at the sale. I am impressed how pretty and soft it is.

The second quilt had stronger colors. Both were rather wonky, especially the centers. They were like circus tents! Lots of starch and a good press tamed them enough to quilt without getting tucks.

Panto: Texas fan in blue thread

Another of the flat folds. Great stuff!

Next was this stunning, completely hand appliqué circle quilt. The colors shine on the black background even though they are not the jewel tones usually seen on black. Choosing thread color for this took quite a while. I unspooled about a dozen colors before deciding on a rusty red. I surprised myself with it! All the other colors stuck out on the lighter fabrics and drew the eye away from the marvelous overall effect of the four color circles. I like it, and hope the customer does, too.

Isn't this a beauty?!

Panto: Funky Fans

Lovely paisley backing

Mr Wazoo sold Little Gammill and she will be going to her new home in the next couple of days. He's ready to devote himself to the yard and gardens exclusively and give up quilting. I'm planning a big makeover of the 'Man Cave' garage. We'll see how that goes...
Today, I'll be back in the studio quilting and repairing customer projects. Maybe I'll listen to some oldies and sing along. If you hear dogs howling, you'll know why!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.