Friday, September 11, 2020

Working weekend ahead

I figure I will be working over the weekend, making headway on the line of customer quilts, and having a bit of fun with my own projects. When I looked at the blog to check for typos, I saw the glaring error in the vintage block quilt top. Oh my! how could I miss that!!? Well, I fixed it first thing this morning before getting embroiled in other things. The planets are realigned and all is well.

Oops...

Aaah...that's better.

I started the day with a Quilt of Valor for our local group.  I really enjoy doing these.

The interesting block design is the disappearing pinwheel. This is a pretty use of the technique.

Panto: Ribbon Stars

The backing is a patriotic swirly pattern.

This quilt is not a QOV, but is for the customer's brother who is a veteran.

If you click the photo, you'll see that the fabrics have tiny written patriotic passages as well as stars, stripes and eagles.

Panto: Patriot

Really appropriate backing, too.

The vintage quilt top is now back in one piece, borders and all, and ready for quilting tomorrow. I had a thrifted sheet for the backing that will save the customer a few bucks. I love the old sheets because they are 100% cotton and quite soft from wear. Perfect for this type of project. The customer plans to display these quilts on a stand or ladder in her home. Nobody will see the backs.

The blocks had a lot of pink in them, so I used a pink print for the border.

Striped sheet for the back, all pressed and ready to go.

I had a haircut this week, and my hairdresser's partner is a gardener like Mr Wazoo. He has some hydrangea that are so beautiful, I had to ask if I could have a few for the house. When my haircut was finished, the blooms were in the car! Thank you to Dennis for his generosity. I added them to my pink blooms (already dried) in the cloth basket my friend Nancy made for me! I certainly have wonderful friends!


Now, I need to cut some of the white ones to go with these!

On a side note...Mr W and I took a ride to our favorite nursery to get some mums for the porch pots. While there, I spotted something bright and colorful on one of the Japanese maples and asked the owner what it was. She gasped and told me it was a saddleback caterpillar, and she got terribly stung by one just the day before. All those fuzzy bits are stingers! She said she was going to get a can to capture it in and get it out of the garden!! Yikes! I hope we never have one in our little slice of Heaven. I do have to wonder what the butterfly looks like...

When I first noticed it. It has such unique coloring, don't you think?


Don't let the grandkids collect this one!

I Googled it and found the adult, this ugly brown moth.












2 comments:

  1. Lovely work and thanks for the warning on the bug! My hubby captured a bug this morning thinking it was dangerous. My son (a bug expert without credentials) just told him it's a regular moth. Poor bug just got released back into the wild and must have been so scared. Sometimes a moth is just a moth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My entomologist friend says the sting from the saddleback caterpillar is horribly painful. I had never heard of nor seen one before the encounter at the nursery. Another reason to avoid yard work...ha ha

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.