Thursday, September 10, 2020

Fixing a vintage quilt top

 Of the seven quilt tops from one customer, four need massive repair and straightening out. I started on one of the string quilts yesterday, by taking the quilt apart and fixing the blocks. What a mess! The blocks varied from 9 inches to 10 1/2 inches in size! I can't imagine how she sewed them together and didn't notice nothing fit. Oh well, it is a challenge, and I like a challenge.

I started by taking the entire top apart, down to a pile of 60 blocks. Some still had bits of the newspaper foundation in the seam allowances! To repair the ones with holes, I used strips from a vintage quilt top I have just for that purpose.  It has come in handy for several repair projects. Then, I found the smallest block, the 9 inch one, and squared up all the blocks to that size. 

Here are some photos of the process, and where I begin today.

Here is an example of what the blocks looked like. Yikes!

Here it is, all trimmed and ready for the new top

Wow, I really don't know how these were sewn together without noticing how wonky and lumpy the top was.

Fixed!

I realize I had quite a pile of trimmings, but the new top will lay flat and be able to be displayed.

All the blocks, new strips sewn on and ready for the design wall.

Here they are on the design wall. I worked out on EQ a design that will have the quilt back to it's original size with the application of two small borders. The customer and I went over what would be done, and she was fine with anything that would rescue Grandma's quilt so she could display it in her home.

Meanwhile, I quilted this quilt from the same era from another customer! She got the blocks from a relative ( mother or grandma...I don't remember) and finished the top. 

The customer added the pretty sherbet orange border. I think it is lovely!

The butterflies are appliqué down with black floss, done in a very close and large buttonhole stitch. The panto is Flower Spray

Muslin backing shows the quilting nicely.

I also sewed the border onto the Jacob's ladder top I made over the weekend. I sewed a pieced back and it is now on a hanger in the queue.

Ready for quilting.

The next quilt on the Millie was this pretty Irish chain and appliqué project. The customer requested Flower Power for the panto and chose the barley colored thread.It turned out very nice with this combination, don't you think?

King size beauty!

Panto: Flower Power

White on white backing showcases the quilting.

At the end of the day, this vista makes me happy. Mr Wazoo works tirelessly to have a beautiful yard and garden. Yesterday, he removed a stump in the yard. I don't know how he keeps going after labor like that! I'm so blessed to have someone who loves gardening. No more quilting for him...Little Gammill is going to her new home and he is free to dig all he wants!










4 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful place! So glad he has recovered from his stroke and able to do what makes him happy. Thank you for sharing your quilting adventures with us! I once had a Little Gammill and it is a wonderful machine. The new owner is lucky to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll tell the gardener he is doing a good job...ha ha. Big Gammill is still in the studio, but she will get more breaks now that I have slowed down how many custom quilts I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain with having to fix that quilt. I had to do that to a double wedding ring quilt. It was a mess, but I think it was the last quilt the grandmother had pieced and her skill level has diminished a lot with age. I had seen another quilt she had done earlier in her life and it was impeccably done. I have a stash of vintage fabric and gosh did that ever come in handy! You did a wonderful job saving that quilt!

    The gardens are so beautiful! I could use me a Mr. Wazoo! It is finally going to cool off a bit here in Ohio so since I don't have a Mr. Wazoo I will have to get out there and tidy up my flower beds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top is done and will be quilted this weekend. On to the next one...equally as bad. I agree; Grandma made some lovely quilts that I have already repaired for the customer. She found these tops in a box after Grandma passed away. I also think they were her last efforts and that is why she didn't even try to quilt them.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.