Friday, September 25, 2020

People coming and going all day!

I had a busy day in the studio! Almost all the waiting quilts went home with their owners and more came in to fill up the rack.  I had my jelly roll quilt quilted yesterday, but it was after 6:00 when I tossed it back over the machine and took these photos. No trim here...yet.


As usual, I like it better after the quilting is done. I do think it will end up a charity quilt, though.


Panto: Woven Wind


I've had this backing for a while, and this project was perfect for it!

This morning, I trimmed it and added solid magenta binding. I will be doing the hand sewing tonight.

I did a customer quilt yesterday, as well, but only the one because of someone trying to scam me on the phone. I called the company they said they represented and was encouraged to contact the FTC and file a report. All this took much of the morning to accomplish. Things like that make me so mad...
Here is yesterday's quilt, a very lively ombre strip quilt for the customer's daughter. 

Daughter wanted a colorful quilt and I think this fits the bill!


Panto: Fanciful Flyers

The customer requested butterflies, and these are the prettiest ones I have.

I started on the 54 year old wedding quilt repair, drafting the block, making templates and making the components. I made one block with individual templates before quitting for the day. I made another just like it today, but using the drafted components. They were the worst old blocks in the quilt. Now that I have the templates, I can make just the needed components for the rest of the damaged blocks.

The worn out block

My replacement block. The second one went together smoother after I got my mind around all the partial Y seams. The original blocks are hand pieced, so I couldn't make my templates from them...every component in the quilt is a different size! Once I get all the new pieces made, I will start the hand sewing.


The first and only quilt today was a giant Dresden plate quilt. The customer did a good job keeping everything straight for such a big quilt. The fabrics were vintage looking. I think most of them were from the 1950s. She also used an unusual decorative stitch to sew them onto the background blocks. It was fun to quilt.

The plates were really big, maybe 14 inches across or so. I love how different they look depending on where the light and dark values are placed. Nice!

Panto: Alfresco

If you click on the photo, you'll see the stitch she used.

Beautiful backing!

I spent some quality time pressing two hand pieced, but never pressed, quilts from a customer. The two quilts are made from 4 inch squares, all hand pieced together. Wow! They are both 85 inches square. It took almost a full can of spray starch to get them under control. I think I can safely quilt them, so they are now in the queue on the rack.
That was the end of there day. Now, I had better get busy and sew that binding.
The two quilts, waiting to be pressed.


Poor Ted...







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.