Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Crawling to the finish line

 I have been working on a giant repair project for a couple of months now, and I can see the finish line! I thought I was done, laid it out on the floor, and there it was...one more block to do. I may be able to get it finished during my double feature movie night if I keep at it. There are six pieces. My limit so far has been four a night, but I am determined to get this done and move on to the quilting. Stay tuned!

Meanwhile, in the studio yesterday I cleaned up and vacuumed before starting on the day's projects. I took in three more quilts but didn't send any home. 

Waiting, but still here.

The first quilt was another tree skirt for the holidays. I have done this same pattern before, and I think the customer said she has made more to be given as gifts at Thanksgiving. I don't recall the panto I used on the first one, but this one was perfect for the fabrics. 

The quilt is an eight sided log cabin style.

The background is gold swirls and vines on a cream base. I used the panto, Delicate Vines because it looks just like the pattern on the fabric! Gold Glide thread was just the ticket.

The fabric on the back is the same as the background.

On Big Gammill, I loaded up the next embroidered quilt from the customer who has made eight of them for her siblings. I have custom quilted five so far, and have three here right now. The one I started is done in a dark red. After some deliberation of how to quilt it, I started. One row is done and four more to go. I will be repeating the quilting in each block 20 times! Then do the sashing and borders. It takes a while for sure, as it is all hand guided quilting. I have a December 12th deadline. The customer turns 80 that day and is having a birthday party where she will present the quilts to her brothers and sisters. Lucky people, for sure!

Advanced and ready to start row two!

Millie has been busy quilting this entirely hand pieced from vintage sheets nine patch quilt. So far so good. Sometimes hand pieced tops won't behave and lay down for the quilting. This one has been pretty submissive so far. I should have it done later today.

My son called on Facetime Halloween night. They live in Wisconsin where the Covid virus has raised it's ugly head and surged to high infection numbers. No trick or treating for my grandson. I got to watch the fun they created in their apartment for the trick or treat experience. Hiding candy all over the apartment, Dechen hunted each piece and when found, said trick or treat and played a game of rock-paper-scissors with his Mama to get it. Soon, his plastic pumpkin was full and everyone was happy. Very clever. My son sewed the Power Ranger costume with the Bernina I gave him for Christmas last year! I am astounded at how beautiful it turned out . Set in sleeves from slinky fabric?! Wow! He also made the helmet and sword from paper mâché. He has always been an artist, and Halloween was another chance to stretch his talents. I was blown away with the finished product. And glad to have the machine put to good use.

Mighty Morphin Power Ranger!
His birthday is this week and I sent a Viewmaster and some reels. I hope he likes them as much as I did as a kid. I still have my three viewers and a box of reels. When we can be together again we'll have something to share.


Once again, my sister came through and had me laughing with this one. 
As you can tell, I have quite a warped sense of humor.
Stay calm and we'll still be Americans in the morning no matter the outcome of this horrible election.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.