Sunday, February 21, 2021

Busy day

 I started early yesterday because the studio was such a mess and I needed to get some order there before customers started coming. Its so much nicer to work in a tidy space  than chaos! I loaded up the next quilt in the queue and started the quilting process. I love this quilt! It is funky and cheerful.

These primitive guys make me smile. This pattern was from the 1930s. I found a picture of a similar quilt made during the Depression. I am going to try a block today to see if I can replicate it. There may be a quilt of little men in hats in my future!

The fabric selections are wonderful! It was a bold choice to use the pink patterned fabric for the background. Some of the figures almost disappear.

I used a simple panto that mimics the shape of the figures.

The only thing I didn't understand about the quilt was it's dimensions, 49 x 96". Long and skinny. Maybe for a bunk bed or long twin? I don't know.

Here's the 1930s quilt.

I remembered to take pictures of the quilt with the little hole. It is a nice Kaffe Fassett display of the autumnal line of fabric.

The quilter showcased the line of fabric well. Large motifs were fussy cut for the blocks.

She wanted a swirly pattern for the quilting. It is called Lorien's phoenix

You have seen the backing...I made the patches from the trimmings.

While I was doing the quilting on customer projects, I sewed the colorful quilt together and finished the flimsy. I hope to get it quilted today.

Here is the finished flimsy.

This will be the backing! I got it at a sale and knew I would find somewhere to use the wild, bright fabric.

Next was a gigantic quilt with mutant tulips machine appliquéd on the blocks. These tulips are as big as your head! The quilter used all sorts of different kinds of fabrics to make the motifs, from silky prints to double-knit polyester. The stems and leaves are a thick decorator fabric. I think she used old clothing and whatever she had on hand. 90X113" of funky flowers. I added 15" of length to the muslin backing to make it big enough for the top.

I started the quilting at noon and finished at 6:00 on the dot. Huge quilt!

The panto is a simple Baptist fan pattern.

The customer had already added bits and pieces to the backing in an effort to make it big enough. The white fabric is one of her additions.

Some of the quilt is over the back and not in the picture. It felt good to turn the lights off and go sit down.
I worked hard and had a glass of wine while Mr Wazoo grilled chicken. Life is good!

Today, I hope to have some fun and mess around with some fabric. I'll probably get some customer work done, but mostly I need to do something creative. Enjoy your day, too!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.