Tuesday, January 4, 2022

BOM underway

 Wow! This block of the month is more difficult than I first imagined. Some of the pieces of appliqué are teensy. I originally cut circles for the little berries, intending to use Karen K Buckley's Perfect Circles and starch to form them. No dice! I switched to my travel iron to get better control over the gathered and starched bits, but it was nearly impossible to hold them down with a pencil eraser and pull up the thread to gather the edges. I made three berries in an hour. There are 40 of them on block one!! No way. I re-grouped and made fusible berries instead. These, and the 1/8 inch stems (that's another fiddly bit), will be sewn down by machine.

Here are the first bits of appliqué. The dark pink circles are the berries. I did the running stitch on all of them while watching TV.

I have the background chosen and prepped for the first block, and was just getting started on motif placement in this picture.

Of course, the studio is a giant mess, with the pulled fabrics all over the place. These are stem fabrics, being cut and put through the bias maker.

In the end, there will be 300 inches of stem on this quilt!

Over at the sewing area, I have a small ironing station set up for the prep of the appliqué bits.

I didn't take a picture of how much I got done, but will do that today when I get home from the longarm group meeting. I'm showing some free motion patterns to the group to hopefully get them excited to play on their machines, and not just do computer guided stuff.
Thankfully, the ice and snow is mostly gone today, and I don't fear the trip to town. It was certainly beautiful, though!

At 7:30 yesterday morning, this was the scene.

One last look at the Christmas tree, while it really looks like Christmas. Mr Wazoo spent the day disassembling it and putting everything away. Christmas is over.

Later in the day, the sun came out and gradually melted the snow away.
I made a big pot of potato-corn chowder, and Mr W enjoyed his bowl of steaming goodness for lunch. 
Sometimes staying inside is a wonderful thing!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.