Monday, July 29, 2019

Another tee shirt quilt, and racing to the finish!

I made another customer tee shirt quilt, and have one more to go. The customer requested a throw sized quilt, so I left out the vertical sashing and borders to keep it throw size. The calico flowers are from a chambray shirt the recipient of the quilt applied as embellishments. I left on the breast pocket, too!

First, I prepped the shirts and arranged them on the design wall.

Loads of sewing and appliquéing later, the quilt was ready for quilting.
Here it is, all done. I bound it with the same lavender fabric as the sashing.

Because the quilt had raised embellishments, I did a free hand meander for the quilting.

Backing from the sale rack at my local quilt shop. 
A member of the guild finished this top and lamented she couldn't get it finished for the show. I quilted it for her, added the sleeve, label and binding, and now it's ready for the show. Sometimes, we just have to give our quilting sisters a bit of a boost!

It is a pretty scrap quilt that will add sparkle to the show floor.

Panto: Splat

A peek at the back.
On Sunday, (my personal sewing day) I worked on my challenge quilt for the show. It is the final entry, and I will be relieved when I have it sewn together and photographed. Then, I need to quilt three of my entries!! Oh well, at least they're ready for photography.

                                  

I had an idea to make a round quilt for the challenge to echo the moon shape. The plan is to make a moon over the mountain block and insert it into the mountain design. I plan to make the dominant color blue, to look like dusk in the mountains. We'll see how this goes...
I am NOT an art quilter, and have a learning curve to conquer.


I pulled a bunch of fabrics and worked to choose the right ones for what my vision is.

After pressing the pattern pieces to the chosen fabrics, I trimmed them down, adding the 1/4" seam allowances to each one. Here they are, after pressing and before trimming.

There are nine sections and the moon over the mountain block. The detailing of the mountains and clouds will be appliquéd on to this background. The last step before quilting will be to scribe and cut the circle shape. I hope it all works!

Mr Wazoo comes out of the bedroom every morning to find the skeleton pillow on the floor. He wondered why this is. Here is the culprit...

In the evening, after Mr W goes to bed, Molly and I enjoy some TV. She likes to burrow under the skeleton quilt and stay there until the last trot around the yard before going to bed. If you look closely, you'll see her little eye in the gap at the left, and her rear end and tail sticking out on the right side of the pillow. When I announce "Let's go out!", She pops up, knocking the pillow to the floor. I leave it there and go to bed. Mystery solved! Silly dog...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.