Monday, August 17, 2020

Quilting business in the time of COVID

 I have resigned myself to seeing the stubborn (and I consider them to be ignorant, too) people who refuse to wear a mask in public places. All we can do is distance ourselves from them at the grocery store and get our business done quickly and go home. Yesterday, we went to our local Ingalls store and got our flu shots. I would say about 2/3 of the folks there were mask-less. We got out as quickly as possible and remarked about the disregard these people had for the other shoppers and for the store rule for wearing masks. If you are a Trump supporter, wear a button or a shirt saying so, but don't put other people in jeopardy by flouting your ignorance of scientific fact and go bare faced. Okay, I'm done with my rant, but this is why I won't go out and why I have a mask mandate here in the studio.

I made this video for my grandkids

Meanwhile, in the studio on the Funday-Sunday, I worked on my boxed square quilt while finishing the dahlia quilt on the frame. 

This quilt was made from the quilter's aunt's clothing. There is a generous pillow tuck at the top that she wanted to be really pretty. I think we achieved the goal!

Panto: Paradise Feathers

It shows well on the back, too. The Quilters Dream Puff batting adds the definition she was looking for. Success!

My boxed square quilt top is together and two of the first border pieces  are on.

At the tail end of the day, I loaded my log cabin quilt and started the Baptist fan quilting. I will get this done this morning then get back to customer work. If I start at 9:00 instead of 10:00 I should be able to have it off the machine before the workday starts.

I quilted a couple of rows yesterday, and will git 'er done today.

My new Baptist Fan pattern sits way closer together than my old one. I think it looks more like the hand quilted pattern, but is a bit tricky to position so it doesn't run over itself. We'll see how it looks when I'm finished.

Now, I'm off to  the studio and looking forward to another day of fun. It looks like rain again...


2 comments:

  1. I agree 100% about the masks! No wonder things are so bad in Georgia! It's a bit better in Ohio, but then again I try and do my shopping early when the stores just open so it is easier to avoid the non-mask wearing people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is impossible to avoid them in the studio! I think I have the right to mandate what goes own in my space, and people will agree, or go elsewhere. I don't want this virus...and I believe they don't either.

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.