Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Short jaunt to Jasper

Yesterday morning, three of us girls took a short trip over to Jasper, GA to check out the new (to me) quilt and yarn shop. It is called the Pickens County Mercantile and is located in the old train depot. They have really done a spectacular job with the renovation. The inside of the shop is charming, from the worn wood floors and stairs, to the view out the window of a passing train. The tracks are so close, when a train passed, we waved at the engineer and he smiled and waved back. The selection of fabric is amazing considering the small area they have for merchandise, and the skeins of colorful yarn in the front room make a splash when you enter. Here are a few photos from Google maps and the shop web page, since I forgot to take any of my own.

The sign says it all!


This is the "Before" picture of the station 

Here is the beautifully renovated "After" picture.

In the cutting room, you can see how dedicated they were to keeping the soul of the shop front and center. I loved the wood floors and the patina of age that was throughout the shop.




In the front room, the yarns, books and check out area are the main focus.

I found some wonderful fabrics in the upper room, and even got to see a train go by!

The opening in the wall provides a view from the cutting area to the yarn area.

After we all made our selections, paid and said good-bye, we headed home and I started working. It was nice to visit the new shop, but there are quilts to work on and customer projects to do.

I only had one pass to go on this interesting quilt, and finished it quickly after opening the studio. The fabrics are autumnal in pattern, and have maple leaves in the focus fabric.

I used the panto: Maple Winds to echo the pattern.

The pieced backing featured the maple leaf fabric, too.

I bought the red fabric at the new shop, and it matched well with the log cabin quilt. I went ahead and cut the setting triangles and set to work sewing it all together.

The first half is done, and I will finish sewing the second half today and maybe add a small border  of the same fabric.

While sewing, I also quilted the first of many quilts sent here from Wisconsin. My sister is a prolific quilter and excellent customer! She made this colorful rail fence quilt that has me thinking of how I can use my bins of strips to make one myself! I'll take photos of it today because I finished it after 6:00 and didn't trim it for the 'glamor shots' ha ha
Just a correction from yesterday's post: the panto on the quilt made in my class ( bright green background) is Argus. I mistakenly called it Trailing vine. oops.
Time too get to work! There are a couple of new customers coming with interesting projects for me to consider, and I am anxious to get started.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.