Monday, August 10, 2020

Weekend work, and a bit of fun

Hot, muggy, rainy...perfect! Let's quilt!

First on the machine was this four patch posey patterned quilt. It works like a stack and whack, but wastes very little fabric because the 'whacked' bits are cut from strips. The border fabric is what the strips are cut from. Beautiful results, too.

Panto: Borneo

The backing is a surprise, isn't it?

My understanding is the quilt maker got these blocks from someone and made them into this sweet quilt. The fabrics date to the 1960s and 1970s.


Panto: Funky fans. Just the ticket for these funky Sues.

The pattern is like Baptist Fan at a dance party!

This quilt was made in one of my classes! It may have taken some time to finish, but it makes me happy to see it quilted.

Panto: Trailing vine

The back was pieced with the same fabric as her first quilt plus some batik.

The last quilt is lovely, but wasn't finished by 6 pm. I quit for the night with one row to go.

Sunday started off lazy enough. I fixed our traditional bacon and French toast breakfast, and watched CBS Sunday Morning before starting in the studio. Leslie gifted me some Nancy Drew fabrics left over from her quilt and I decided to fool around with them and make a little quilt. This was done while quilting more customer projects.

I made some blocks and moved things around, playing with the layout as I went. It was glorious, impulsive fun.

Meanwhile, The last row was stitched, and the pretty appliqué sampler was finished.

Panto: Amethyst

Cute bows on the back.

This customer is the one who thought of making the 2-3-2-6  quilt parts bigger. She made this whimsical farm animal quilt using those changes.

The horse, with it's big lips, makes me smile!

Panto: Swirly swirls

By the end of the day, I had the Nancy Drew quilt sewn up and ready to quilt.

I have wonderful memories of reading all these titles as a young girl. I still have quite a collection of them here somewhere in a box...

The second quilt, using the same pattern is very different from the farm one. The fabrics are lush and beautiful.

I used an equally lush panto, Swan's Journey, for the quilting.

The backing is this deep purple fish fabric.

Today, I cut and made a bunch of log cabin blocks. I made them all the same...something I almost never do. I don't like them much because the ways to lay them out are so limiting. Too much sameness!!

Then I tried the blocks on point. Not too bad. I think I will sew them together and chalk this one up as a learning experience. Somebody will like it. There's always tomorrow to dream up another scrap quilt. I'm climbing back in my box, where it is comfortable.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.