Monday, August 31, 2020

Sunday...Monday

 I promised to show you the quilt with minkie on the back, and here it is!

The quilt maker chose fun prints in vivid colors on black backgrounds. She added the bright yellow pops to be echoed with the minkie backing

I did the quilting with the panto, Jetty in King Tut Variegated thread. This choice, Cleopatra, is my favorite Tut thread. It has all the bright colors from the quilt in it.

The yellow minkie is cuddle soft! I chose a black with colored dots fabric for the binding. The label is also yellow, in order to blend in better. I hope her grandson likes the quilt!

I worked on both the Millie and the Gammill and got these three quilts finished on Sunday.

Here is a colorful batik quilt I did on Big Gammill.



Paper panto: Fork in the Road


Nice botanical print on the back





On the Millie, I quilted pumpkins as the customer requested.

Another KingTut variegated thread in various shades of orange. Panto: Pumpkin Festival

The quilting really looks great on the solid black backing

This batik boxed square quilt was the last of the day, and I put Millie to the test so I could get some sewing done. After all, it was Sunday, and I am supposed to be able to have some fun!


Panto: Malachite

The quilter used the same botanical backing on this quilt, too.

I managed to get the block parts sewn for a BQ2 quilt before the clock chirped 6:00. The pile of quilts to be boxed and sent tomorrow is growing!The shipping and receiving department (Mr Wazoo) has its work cut out for the morning!

The growing pile of finished quilts to be mailed.

Almost blocks...

Monday morning!! I started by loading a king batik quilt on Millie and getting her started. Then, I sewed the BQ2 blocks together and fussed with them on the design wall. By the afternoon, I had the blocks sewn into rows, and the rows into the quilt top. A little border, and it was done! BQ2 is a versatile pattern that goes together quickly and has many sizes included in the pattern. Maple Island makes the patterns and there are six versions of BQ quilts. Google  it and see for yourself!

Ta-Da! I wish the colors came out better under the fluorescent lighting. The shabby chic fabrics are soft and kind of worn looking. This light makes them a bit darker and muddy. 

Once again...the last row or two will have to wait until tomorrow. Quilting a king quilt on a computerized machine takes forever. Especially if the pattern is complicated. I'll have it finished in the morning before I have to go to Morganton for a board meeting. 
The evening guild board wants to discuss whether or not to have meetings in another format, since Covid has shut us down at the church we meet in until the end of the year. I won't be going to any meetings where I don't feel safe. Georgia is not adhering to proper Covid protocol, and cases (and deaths) are on the rise here. Our small rural county has had 480 cases and 10 deaths to date. Georgia has 270,471 cases and 5633 deaths. I'm not comfortable with customers without masks, so why would I go to a meeting with a bunch of other susceptible older ladies? I love to quilt, and see my quilting friends, but want to see them healthy,  so I will pass on getting guild meetings going again. 

Meanwhile, out in the garden, the hydrangea have changed to this wonderful shade of pink. I don't know what this grassy plant is, but it had burst out in these pretty purple flowers. More hard rain last night has knocked my phone out of order. Again. I hope this is a short outage...


Pretty in pink

My friend told me the botanical name of this...but I have already forgotten it.











2 comments:

  1. Our guild is on Zoom. Marguerita from Quilters-Calendar, https://www.quilters-calendar.com/, has had many informative sessions on guilds using Zoom, technology, how to do programs, etc.- all for free. I sat in a lot of those meetings and now run our guild's Zoom meetings. She has great handouts and a newsletter and answers questions. I have heard quilt guilds all across the country talk about how they are handling non in person meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know. I will pass this info along to the Press and VP. I am only the lowly secretary! For the near future, I will be doing more newsletters and we will be having a challenge project and a small contest. Our normal minutes will be in the newsletter as well. I'm not sure how well we would do with a Zoom, but it would be worth a try. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.