Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Patience is a virtue!

My day started happily with  a customer picking up her quilts. Penny got some love and attention, and I got paid! Work started with finishing a quilt from yesterday. I forgot to take pictures of the other QOV, so that will be here, too!

Remember this?

Here is the finished QOV! I was right about the wonky borders. I secretly added well placed 'faux seams' to take in about an inch on all four sides. When borders are properly sewn together, measured and cut to fit, they are sure to lay flat. If you aren't well versed in mitering joins and corners, don't do it. Straight joined seams and butted corners will be more forgiving when sewing them to your quilt. Measure through the center of the quilt, cut the border to fit this measurement, then pin it to the quilt easing any fullness while pinning. Sew the border on and admire your flat quilt.

Pineapple blocks are always pretty. I like the layout of red, blue and mixed blocks used in the quilt.
Panto: Simply Stars

Nice patriotic backing

This is the other quilt. I think it what the modern quilters call low volume. I never understood why they label things that way...volume is either how much space something takes up or the loudness of your music! Where it comes from, I don't know. I'd call it low contrast. Too many mediums, very little contrast in the fabric color values

Panto: Heart Fancy in taupe thread


The customer requested a heart panto. It goes nicely with the backing!

The fabrics are all tiny farm scenes. I like the fabrics a lot, really cute.

When I finished the quilt, and taken in a couple more, I loaded up the next project. Its a beautiful reproduction quilt featuring wonderful blocks made up of numerous tiny pieces. I'm always jealous of the people who make these types of quilts. I am still trying to be precise without much luck. I like bigger pieces and less fiddly blocks. I'll get the hang of it someday! But I digress...
I wanted a filagree type pattern for the quilting, so  I spent some time on the computer looking for just the one. I found it and downloaded all the formats, because they didn't have mine, but I knew others would work. As you know, the computer on the machine and I are not good friends. Every time I tried to select and open the pattern, it disappeared. I spent almost an hour patiently trying different formats of the pattern with the same result every time. I reviewed the directions for uploading and importing the patterns, tried again...poof! it was gone. Refusing to give up, I entered the incorrect format and didn't have the computer change it. It worked. I sure don't get it. Anyhoo, I started late and each pass took a long time to quilt, so I had the obligatory one row left to do.

After six and time for supper!!

I am making progress on the custom quilt. No pictures, but I finished the last of the light gray and will start on the red tomorrow. Meanwhile, I also took in another repair that needs to be done by the 25th. The quilt belongs to the customer's son and was made by his Grandma. He has had it his entire life and now, the dog had a fight with it and the quilt lost. I hope to start on it right away so I have it finished as a surprise for his birthday on the 25th. Its a big job, but I like a challenge, and a great story!
Penny needs to go out and I need to get to bed!

Oh my...










 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.